Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What to look out for

Kier

I made a thread a couple of months ago, but cant find it now.

In the next few days, I'm going to be buying a Focus, I'm 99% sure its going to be a 1.8 TDCi Zetec, 2002, or possibly a 2001 1.8 TDDi Zetec

Will there be much difference between the two performance wise? I've seen a 2002 one with 140k+ miles, which seems a lot, the 2001 I've seen has got 94k, and full service history. I'm tempted to go for the 2001 model because of this.

If I do go to view either one, is there anything I need to look out for that commonly goes wrong?

Thanks.

Hi, the TDDi has slightly less performance than the TDCi but it comes with benefits. TDCis are prone to injector problems. Power is delivered across the rev range on the Di whereas I've been told on the TDCi its basically between 1500 and 2500. On the face of it I'd go with the TDDi though I would check the cambelt has been changed. Ford recommend 100,000 miles or 10 years but I changed mine at 80 and tbh there was no way the belt or tensioner would have made 100k. Mileage shouldnt really worry you too much. A well serviced diesel TDDi or TDCi will happily see 300k+ without too many issues other than servicing.

The advert says that the TDDi had a cambelt change at 87k, and is now on 94k, so guessing its got a while left.

Quick question, when I'm looking at insurance, it often comes up with 90, 100 or 115bhp options, how do I know what one is what?

Pop the bonnet and the PS rating can be found on a label on the intercooler.

Quite sure the TDDI model isnt anymore than 90 tho, does lack bit of guts.

Check service history, I would say it would depend on that.

May have done 50k less but the higher millage engine may be better serviced!

Piggy

As stated the TDDi is 90ps and the TDCi is either 100 or 115ps though the only physical difference in the 100 and 115 is the map on the ECU. Generally the 115 is TDCi Sports

TDDI is bit gutless, that’s right but apart from failing pump circuit board (common VP44 pump problems) which was solved around 2002 is bullet proof.

TDCI is on the other hand very prone to injectors failing and set of 4 is around 650-700 +VAT or 500-600 when reconditioned. These can fail anywhere from 90k miles to 150k, depending from fuel. It’s also fitted with the dual mass flywheel, very good solution, accelerate like petrol engine, but very faulty. Also fails from 70k onwards. Some people managed to do even 150-170k miles but I would call them lucky. DMF is around £500. TDDI is fitted with solid flywheel and only clutch needs replacing around 100k. Anything else? TDCI pumps have failure of peeling material and first clogs injectors and then damage the pump.

Another big issue is consumption. I have both, TDDI and TDCI, both estates, both about 95k and both silver . TDDI is doing 65MPG on the smooth run, TDCI can get up to 55MPG. In town TDDI is doing around 50, where TDCI can go down to 35 (I know few TDCI drives that can do even 31 MPG!!). On average TDDI is doing 52MPG, and TDCI 41 MPG. Big difference.

Depending from what you’re looking for, If it’s just a family cruiser, i would go for TDDI, if it’s a quick car I would go for...2.0 16V. TDCI is just too thirsty and very unreliable.

i had a new 56 plate 1.8tdci (115bhp) focus i found it drove well but then i was used to smaller petrol engines. turbo didnt kick in till around 3500rpm and when it did it was hardly mind blowing. served me well enough tho. traded it for a 1.9ctdi (150bhp)zafira as focus was to small for my needs. although the vx engine isnt without its problems its a rocket compared to the 1.8tdci. oh and i was getting 42mpg from the 1.8tdci after 15000k.

Thanks for the replies :)

I went to have a look at one today...and brought it :D.

Y Reg 1.8 TDDi, £1700, pretty pleased with it, also test drove a 1.6 estate...but it didn't help that it was misfiring, which put me off, even though the garage said that they would fix it etc.

Going to need some new tires on the back in a few months, and the right front appears to have a slow puncture, but apart from that it looks good.

Nearly cried on the way back though...stalled on a roundabout...thought it had broken down lol.

Will try and get some photos tomorrow.

Must have been something wrong with your Focus as turbo kicks in around 1600-1800 and torque is relatively smaller after 3500 revs. TDCi revs better than TDDI but is even more gutless in low revs (900-1500).

1.9 tdci engine is Fiat construction which in my opinion is the best engine ever (even better than 1.9 TDI by VAG group). Don’t ever go around Vx 2.0 or 2.2 DTI.

I was a Vauxhall man but must defend Focus sizing and disagree that it’s smaller than Zafira, which really is only a topped Astra with more headroom. I had a Vectra B and C and both are far being in ergonomic design. I bought my first Focus just for profit but was stunned with amount of space inside. It’s well clever designed car and apart from faulty TDCI engine and rust problems is well in front from Vx.

And another thing - most of petrol engines, 2000 onwards can be diagnosed with standard OBDII interface cable, whereas diesels only from 2004 and I must admit that I had problems even with 54 plate ones!!

I have an 07 TDCi 1.8, and can easily get 65mpg by paying attention.

Usual mix is 55-57mpg. It depends on the driver a lot of the time and gear changes (I change around 1800 rpm for decent consumption).

Turbo kicks in around 1500rpm. It's pig slow (after having a 170), but agree there are quicker engines in the same category.

Had an 06 Vectra SRi CDTi 150 as a hire car when someone ruined my back bumper. It was very quick indeed - and surprisingly efficient. It would get 58 mpg on the motorway quite easily - extremely impressive engine.

God awful car. Really badly designed and finished in the cabin (vanity mirror faces everyone but the driver, audio controls were dreadful, can't extend the armrest and use handbrake etc). Cornered like a sponge pudding and felt outright dangerous. Shame really. I liked the engine a lot.

Had an 06 Vectra SRi CDTi 150 as a hire car when someone ruined my back bumper. It was very quick indeed - and surprisingly efficient. It would get 58 mpg on the motorway quite easily - extremely impressive engine.

I guess you're talking about the 1.9 engine? One thing made by Italians that actually is really good, I would say the best. BTW - Common Rail was developed by Fiat as well but due to financial problems and lack of optimism that this will ever get popular, CR was sold to Bosch...

God awful car. Really badly designed and finished in the cabin...

As a Vauxhall man I should defend them but must agree with you. I would never get a Vectra C.

I guess you're talking about the 1.9 engine? One thing made by Italians that actually is really good, I would say the best. BTW - Common Rail was developed by Fiat as well but due to financial problems and lack of optimism that this will ever get popular, CR was sold to Bosch...

As a Vauxhall man I should defend them but must agree with you. I would never get a Vectra C.

Yes, it was the 1.9 - and I hold my hands up and agree how good it is.

Even better in the Saab's as a twin-turbo (TTDi) - I've heard that the 3.0 V6 diesel with a twin turbo is an absolute monster.

But no good if it'll fall apart, or handles dangerously. An absolute shame - genuinely.

I'm too late on this one, but in future, you can always look at Honest John's website to find out about the common faults on a model of car.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=116

My dad has a 2001 Focus, with around 70,000 miles on it. Only major thing that ever went wrong was failure of the power steering pump. Other than that, its been solid. Provides a smooth ride and the 1.6 Zetec engine is more powerful than you would think.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club