Do Not Sell My Personal Information

doors lock

phil smith

some times the doors lock on their own while driving, at all different random times, cant open doors when stopped unless i turn car off and undo with key fob, why??

thanks phil

10 hours ago, phil smith said:

some times the doors lock on their own while driving, at all different random times, cant open doors when stopped unless i turn car off and undo with key fob,

These functions are controlled by the BCM (aka GEM, and is part of the passenger fusebox).

This unit sometimes gets wet or damaged. Drop it down & have a good look. If the problem continues it may be worth disconnecting it to look at properly: This will power down the radio & most systems though. Check for corrosion or water damage.

There may be more connectors behind the trim panel in front of the passenger door, these can get wet as well.

It does sound rather like an intermittent electrical connection fault somewhere. If it was a Mk2 Focus, I would say get a good diagnostic system like Forscan, which can look for communication errors, and test some functions. Not sure how much that applies to a Mk1 Focus, but it would not cost much (£15 for USB version) to find out.