Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I replace gear oil

v530anh

I have ordered an 8 mm Allen key which has good leverage. My understanding is that if you cannot open the filler Allen key nut you should not bother. But I have also read that you should not change the gear oil for older cars if the car has never had an oil gear change.

So the question is would it be safer to change a litre of the oil and see what happens, that is if I can get the filler nut off. I have noticed that this bolt is visible from the bonnet and their is clear hand clearance to it which would make the job easier.

Have not ordered any gear oil yet, as it is more than double the price of engine oil, and first have to see if I can get the filler nut off.

Also is STP gear oil additive worth it. And any recommendations on a good oil to buy for a 1.8 focus mk1.

• Like 1

The boxes have no service interval and oil is deemed to be for the life of the box.

unless you have any reason to be changing it I wouldn't bother.

the only time I do it is if I'm changing a clutch or removing ths box. Also there is no drain plug on them - I'm presuming yours is also an ib5 type.

• Like 1

I changed mine a couple of years back, the winter after I brought the car I had terrible time with the gears when cold, changed the oil and all was well again, never been a problem since. they say there is no need but I don't think it can hurt it so if you have some cash to splash about then why not?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

I changed mine a couple of years back, the winter after I brought the car I had terrible time with the gears when cold, changed the oil and all was well again, never been a problem since. they say there is no need but I don't think it can hurt it so if you have some cash to splash about then why not?

Exactly as I said though to the OP, you clearly had good reason to be bothering to change the oil.

5 litres of gear oil can be had for sbout £25

• Like 2

I believe their is a drain plug on nearside, so if I can get the filler nut off at least I can check the oil level as the dealer health check suggested excess oil at bottom of car.

If I cannot get the nut off then nothing gained and nothing lost, I will not bother ordering any gear oil.

I got confused as there are Allen plugs but they are smaller than 8 mm, they seem to be holding the gearbox together.

I had to remove a plastic cover, and then I found the fill plug. Put a wire in it, does seem to be between 10 and 15mm.

Managed to get the fill plug off but I used an Allen key with a large handle.

I have ordered 2 bottles of this

Genuine Ford Gearbox/Transmission oil 75W-90 BO

I believe the BO means it is for manual.

I will use 100 ml syringe to remove fluid, then I will know how much to add.

After some research how much you change depends on the condition of the old oil to stop clutch slipping problems.

• 2 weeks later...

My dipstick was totally useless, I even marked the 10-15mm level on it. I ended up dipping the tube. You can see how dirty the old oil is. I had also put WD 40 around the spring connector before which improved gear handling.  Car is running well after oil change.

IMAG0042.jpg

• Like 1

contrary to popular belief.

Gear oil does get warm and then cold again.

gets comtaminated with metal particles especially so when incorrectly selecting gears (we all know that grrrrrrrrrrr noise)

Ages over time. ie additives split. shear and dissolve over time and get less and less usefull.

If you intend on keeping your car until it runs into the ground change the oil. IF you have the knowledge and Time

Jamie

• Like 2

Here is a video about Automatic transmission fluid. 

It shows that it does degrade.

Before anyone says, he is talking about a manual transmission, i know that i was just giving an idea as to why you should change it if you have the know how and tools

Jamie

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club