Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stereo only gives out static... Even on USB devices

Afternoon,

I have just been out in the focus and turned off the engine when I had just changed playlists via voice command ready for when i got back in but when I started the car up I get ear piercingly loud static noise constantly even on the first notch of volume it's uncomfortably loud, I then put it to min volume/mute and it all stops...

I turned off the engine opened the door so the Ford badge comes up and the engine does it's little ticks and turns off once locked then got back in and still the same issue...

It does this noise for all sources so DAB, FM, USB etc I have unplugged all devices and no change...

Without doing a factory reset is there anything else I can try...?

I have the Sony Stereo from the factory with the added sub extra (8 or something speaker thing)

Any help would be great

Cheers

I had this on the first day I had my MK3.5. To fix it, you need to pull the fuse to the Sync to give it a complete reboot.

Mine hasn't done it since. How's your DAB, does that work correctly?

18 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

I had this on the first day I had my MK3.5. To fix it, you need to pull the fuse to the Sync to give it a complete reboot.

Bob on! that worked a treat!

My DAB works fine I get better reception than FM stations which is nice and I live in the sticks so all is well...

Issues with yours?

Cheers buddy

5 hours ago, jimbobcook said:

Bob on! that worked a treat!

My DAB works fine I get better reception than FM stations which is nice and I live in the sticks so all is well...

Issues with yours?

Cheers buddy

Glad that solved it!

Mine works very well now they did an APIM update. The DAB receiver is incredible compared to what I've been used to with windscreen mount antennas. I can get Heart Sussex from Eastbourne East Sussex to Gosport in Hampshire before it then for some odd reason switches to Heart Dorset! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to re-bump this topic. Last night even after having APIM and Sync updates, I had this exact problem reoccur.

Hissing on all radio modes, hissing on voice commands, hissing on test tones through the diagnostics menu.

My car is going in now for an APIM replacement to see if this cures the issue.

What was happening just before you turned off your engine?

I noticed mine was in the middle of loading a playlist from my iPod the song was about to start and I opened the door and it all went off then it happened when I turned on the engine after that...

Mine started as I turned on the car! I then parked up when I got home, went to the loo, came back to start the car again and the problem had cured it's self.

I wanted to video it to show the dealer as he was a little bit perplexed on the phone.

Last time needed a fuse pull to cure it, and that was on the day I bought the thing!

5 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Mine started as I turned on the car! I then parked up when I got home, went to the loo, came back to start the car again and the problem had cured it's self.

I wanted to video it to show the dealer as he was a little bit perplexed on the phone.

Last time needed a fuse pull to cure it, and that was on the day I bought the thing!

My Mk3 did that one night. Damn annoying. 

My MK3.5 lost all but the centre channel the other day. I think I mannged to over heat the head unit. It was cranked up (on non-residential roads) quite abit with the bass up too. 

On both occasions a wee rest for the car and all was fine. 

On 10/7/2016 at 6:57 PM, goldtail77 said:

My Mk3 did that one night. Damn annoying. 

My MK3.5 lost all but the centre channel the other day. I think I mannged to over heat the head unit. It was cranked up (on non-residential roads) quite abit with the bass up too. 

On both occasions a wee rest for the car and all was fine. 

Interesting. So there is definitely a known issue then.

I'll show this thread to the workshop manager at my garage as he seems to be quite keen on finding these issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Car went in today. They've not replaced any physical parts this time, however they have said that is quite a significant update and version jump in the software for the audio control module and they are applying that to my car so I'll let you know if the problem comes back!

Might be worth seeing if your local Ford will do this update for you.

6 minutes ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Car went in today. They've not replaced any physical parts this time, however they have said that is quite a significant update and version jump in the software for the audio control module and they are applying that to my car so I'll let you know if the problem comes back!

Might be worth seeing if your local Ford will do this update for you.

Can you please let us know your ACM software version when you get it back? I think the latest is something x.8 like 4.81. Interested to see if yours differs. 

1 hour ago, goldtail77 said:

Can you please let us know your ACM software version when you get it back? I think the latest is something x.8 like 4.81. Interested to see if yours differs. 

Sure thing, will be interesting to see!

You can find out in the Sync diagnostic menu what version you have. If I remember to get access its a case of holding eject and next track buttons and you'll get a black and white menu appear.

Version information attached for you. I don't know whats relevant or different...

IMG_20161019_175828490.jpg

IMG_20161019_175646825.jpg

IMG_20161019_175637867.jpg

IMG_20161019_175630595.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 9/27/2016 at 1:39 PM, DJ_Andy_M said:

This fixed it! Thank you so much, saved me a trip to the garage 🙂