Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo not working and not saying how fast car is going

Mac 72

Hi I have brought my wife Mondeo mk4 it 1.8 to I when we got it the bloke said he thought fuse had gone and he had been given company Carson did not have time to mess with it so we got it cheap paid £2400 thought I had got bargain but have had friend check fuses but none gone rang ford dealers up but they were not helpful just said to bring car in and they check it but the price for just looking gave me cold sweats if I change clocks will it give me my cars milage or the milage off the one I get from scrapyard as do not want to end up with higher milage please could some one help as wife to scared to drive as she don't no what speed she is doing thanks

1 hour ago, Mac 72 said:

if I change clocks will it give me my cars milage or the milage off the one I get from scrapyard

Changing the IC (Instrument Cluster or clocks) can be quite a major job. Usually it will display its own mileage, and there is no easy way to reduce it. Forscan can adjust mileage up (eg for a new IC), but not down. Some companies claim to be able to reduce mileages (!), they want a lot of money though.

Also PATS (Immobiliser) settings may be stored in the IC, and need re-programming.

I would investigate the cost of repairing the existing one. Quite a few companies claim to do this, usually about £100.

Any other problems or lights on? Mile-ometer counting up ok? The IC gets its speed info from the ABS unit over the car's CAN bus, so there are a few other possible fault areas than the IC. But if it just the speedo, it almost has to be the IC.

Cheers for help mate my mate has told me he checked fuse but I have got no lights on dash and revs not working so I think my mate just charged me £40 pound and did nothing is there a fuse that runs the dash and if gone what would stop working as tonight is the first time I have drove it at night so did not know this was not working as well as man we brought it of did not mention this any help welcome thanks

1 hour ago, Mac 72 said:

told me he checked fuse but I have got no lights on dash and revs not working so I think my mate just charged me £40 pound and did nothing is there a fuse that runs the dash

See if your fuse box (near the glove box, usually) matches the picture here:

http://www.autogenius.info/ford-mondeo-mk4-fuse-box-diagram/

If so then there at least 3 fuses for the Cluster (aka IC, Instrument Cluster, dash, clocks or HEC!)

F2 (5A) in the passenger fusebox (in the car)

F41 (20A) in the engine bay fusebox

F42 (5A) in the engine bay fusebox

It is worth going through all the car's electrical bits one at a time, seeing if they work. Some fuses control more than one function.