Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2 Focus won't connect to iOS Forscan

Jon84

Hi All, 

I wondered if any of you had come across issues using a Wifi OBD2 adapter and Forscan?

The adapter connects to my phone, Forscan (and other apps) recognises that the adapter is there, but when it connects to the car/ECU it just fails. (IPs and Ports are all set correctly)

Is there anything on the car I need to check?

8 hours ago, Jon84 said:

Forscan (and other apps) recognises that the adapter is there, but when it connects to the car/ECU it just fails.

Are there any LEDs on the adapter, that light up when plugged in? There is a fuse for the 12v supply to the diagnostic socket. The 12v is on pin 16 of the socket.

It is F46 on the earlier Mk2, F107 on the later ones. But it also supplies the IC (Cluster), so would have other effects.

The wireless ELMs are notorious, especially WiFi. Is it possible to use USB?

Or get a cheap scanner like the U480, about £10, to test the socket. It is handy to have anyway, I find, though nothing like as powerful as Forscan, of course.

If the socket is ok, then I suspect it is a matter of trying various ELMs until one works! I have recommendations for bluetooth & USB, but not WiFi, yet.

Or - If you are trying Forscan because of a major car fault, any fault that disables the HS-CAN bus will prevent diagnostics from working, as the ELM uses the HS-CAN bus.

15 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Are there any LEDs on the adapter, that light up when plugged in? There is a fuse for the 12v supply to the diagnostic socket. The 12v is on pin 16 of the socket.

It is F46 on the earlier Mk2, F107 on the later ones. But it also supplies the IC (Cluster), so would have other effects.

The wireless ELMs are notorious, especially WiFi. Is it possible to use USB?

Or get a cheap scanner like the U480, about £10, to test the socket. It is handy to have anyway, I find, though nothing like as powerful as Forscan, of course.

If the socket is ok, then I suspect it is a matter of trying various ELMs until one works! I have recommendations for bluetooth & USB, but not WiFi, yet.

Or - If you are trying Forscan because of a major car fault, any fault that disables the HS-CAN bus will prevent diagnostics from working, as the ELM uses the HS-CAN bus.

Thanks Peter some good info there!

• No LEDs on the adapter, but, the apps are getting a reading of 13~14v, just not connecting to the car.It's an early Mk2 so I'll check the fuses just to be sure!
  • I could buy a USB one, however my issue is that I am on Mac with no dual boot, so can't run Forscan on it.
  • My fault I am trying to diagnose seems to be ignition related so hopefully not HS-CAN killing! - misfire randomly when warm at low revs. (I did have water in the spark wells which is now gone and washers sealed up but could be some corrosion on leads or plugs) I am trying to avoid replacing Plugs, Leads, Coilpack and potentially the coilpack plug!

The eBay seller is going to refund me, so I may well get a U480, at least to read a code. Then find reccomendations on WiFi Adapters!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, v530anh said:

USB  seems to be the most reliable. MAC can run windows programs:

http://www.iphonetopics.com/windows-emulator-for-mac/

Try vmware

Hi, I know it's possible, but it's not worth the money ~£50 on VMware or Parallels Desktop. I'd have no other use than to run Forscan. 

I got my refund (and didn't have to return it!), so I am going to explore other adapters that have recommendations. 

• Like 1