Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Titanium Cruise Control - Not Working

FordFezza

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding my cruise control which appears to never work. It is out of ford warranty by about a year which is a shame :(

The problem is that when i press the "ON" button and then press the + or - to set it does absolutely nothing. I think I’ve had it working about 3 times to which seems to work fine when it does activate. I honestly think it’s on button that’s faulty. I bought it from a car dealer with a few months warranty and it was not working right on the way home. When I called up about the issue they looked at it and they said it was working perfectly each time they tried it for several days. When I picked up the car sure enough it worked all the way home. Come 2 days later it doesn't want to play :( I called up the dealer and basically they said they can't fix it unless it's broke but I find it very odd it didn't work for a week then all of a sudden it works again for them and then stops. Because the dealer isn't down the road I have to travel a good distance which is time consuming and expensive. I've heard about spraying the contacts to bring it back to life and upon looking at the button it does appear some greasy stuff is inside (I could be wrong but will check later)

To me if something is temperamental then it's broke and really should be repaired, maybe with some new buttons. If a planes computer was being temperamental I'd consider it broke and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't use it. I know it’s different but the logic it kind of the same.

Any advice would be great on what to do and if I took it to a 3rd party could I claim back the costs for negligence? I also have an issue with the wheel which has a metallic metal spinning noise which apparently they can't hear. The dealer has agreed to look at it again but I hav a feeling it will come back the same.

Thank you everyone

I've had a similar problem and found that I could get it to work by holding the on button down for a couple of seconds.

Thanks Bobr,

I have tried this too with no success.  It's really frustrating as it's a great feature. I wonder how much something like this would cost to repair from a dealer/nondealer.

There appears to be some clear goo behind the buttons. Anyone have an idea what it could be? It doesn't smell of anything and its sort sticky. Sort of resembles Vaseline.

I don't have the cruise control button, but I do have the same problem with the phone/ radio button on the steering wheel, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, I also think it might be something sticky, maybe cleaning product that got in between the button and computer mechanism. I have noticed on sunny days when the car gets hot it tends to work better. if you do find the cure please let us know.

1 hour ago, Jeff4155 said:

I don't have the cruise control button, but I do have the same problem with the phone/ radio button on the steering wheel, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, I also think it might be something sticky, maybe cleaning product that got in between the button and computer mechanism. I have noticed on sunny days when the car gets hot it tends to work better. if you do find the cure please let us know.

I will let you know. You know I think cleaning product is probably a good shout. Maybe it does get inbetween and when the heat hits it, it melts and messes with the contacts. Did you buy your car new or was it used from a garage? Maybe these are repairs in the past which have now failed?

I purchased it second hand, and as I said it's working 100% now, but every so often it doesn't, I would love to have a look behind those buttons to see if my theory is correct, but I don't want to take the steering wheel apart just for something small like that.

Funily enough my cruise works fine, it's the left button "down volume" which is a PITA. Its been erratic since new, whenever its looked at it calls me a liar and works fine.

To get it working at the mo I press the voice command button followed by track - then vol- and it sometimes works.

I'm convinced it isn't the actual button but the Sony dab radio.

On 28/09/2016 at 7:46 AM, Jeff4155 said:

Hi Jeff and anyone else who has the same problem. 

Thankfully for me the cruise control played up when the dealer had it and Ford replaced the buttons for them/me under my warranty with the garage. I was very lucky as they collected my car which was a 2 hour drive plus loaned me a car.

So anyone with this problem I'd get someone to change the buttons or clean them. Or do it yourself if you know how. 

• 2 months later...

I also have a Fiesta Titanium and I've been experiencing the same issue, for both the cruise control and volume controls. 

Sometimes I would push the cruise control button with no effect, and 5 minutes later it will decide to turn itself on. 

My car is still under warranty, and have taken it in today for them to have a look at this exact issue. I'll let you know what they say when I pick it up later.

I'm also having the start/stop feature not work at time. The engine will switch off, but won't switch back on when I put the clutch it. There will be a message which says something to the effect of 'push the manual on button to start the car'.

Regards

Malooga 

• 7 years later...