Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annoying noise from trunk

gianluca212

Hi all. Since a month or two a clicking noise started from the rear seat/trunk area. The noise starts when I drive on a bumpy road, and it sounds like something isn't fitted well. Yesterday I disassembled the whole back of my car: all plastics and panels except seats have been removed. But the noise still persist. I tightened every single screw, put rubber tape on every screw hole, but I can't solve the problem. I drove with the trunk fully opened, tightened the trunk's lock. But the noise (rumore di merda, you can translate) still remains. I finished the ideas, so I hope someone will help me because I'm going crazy. My car is a 2002 Ford Fiesta. I punched every single part (plastics, panels, glasses, seats, roof) in search of the noise but I didn't find it.

Grip the top of the rear seats from the boot and tug them back and forth, on my 2004 fiesta I found the hook that clips the seats into position was making a noise. I just left mine as is but I've heard others who have wrapped a bit of electrical tape around the pin to make it fit snugly. This 'might' be what you are hearing as well.

Sorry, I don't know what you meant.. I put some rubber tape on the two piece of metal that hold the two seats.. but the noise didn't stop. I also took the spare tyre off. Maybe I'm crazy..

I don't know, should I call the Police? Jokes apart, what can I do?

This morning i lifted the car and checked the rear suspensions. When I grab and shake both suspensions it feel like there's some play, in fact I get almost the same noise. Maybe after 14 years it's time to replace them. I also tried to unscrew the bolt but I cannot grab the bolt because my wrench is too big. 

Maybe its the dead body of the Italian Cosa Nostra gangster you put in the boot - maybe he is not quite dead yet?
Just take your BIG wrench and bash him over the head with it!

>;o)

I thought all Italians had very small wrenches and tanks with one forward gear and ten reverse gears lol...... hmmmm

Well you did mention the police?
I am a police officer and just naturally suspicious - we will be paying you a visit just to make sure anyway so better move the evidence and clean up the blood stains quick!

>;o)

Oh dear and no sense of humour either!

Nae luck dude!

• Like 1

I'm trying to solve a damn annoying problem. I don't Wanna joke. So if you can't help me please, stop posting.

Well if you put mor pertinent info in then we might be able to help - what is the noise - a scraping sound, a clicking sound , a squeaking sound?

YOU COULD RECORD IT WITH YOUR MOBILE AND UPLOAD IT HERE SO WE CAN HEAR IT AND THAT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL.

You see people come on here looking for free help which would cost you £30 an hour at a garage and dont give enough info - most dont even post a reply to say if its fixed or not so we all get a bit fed up giving help without getting anything in return and me personally i just like to take the Jimmy Riddle now and again!

Is it definitely inside the car or could it be the suspension underneath?

If it was me I would stick the girlfriend in the boot and get her to pinpoint it when driving.
I might also get the chance to watch tv without being interrupted if i left her in as well - BONUS!

WITHOUT KNOWING MORE INFO IT COULD EVEN BE YOUR DRIVERS SEAT HAVING BROKEN OFF THE FLOOR RAIL - I'VE SEEN THAT ONE BEFORE ON A ROVER 820si.

This morning I checked the rear dampers and they seem to be in good shape. The bushings are in good shape too.

I also took off the two backseats as you can see from the last video but it didn't help.

Check for stone entrapment its a common problem that isnt easily found!

Springs!

Ball joints and link rods - check em all but the sound sounds like it is coming from underneath the car!

As I said you could get a friend  to sit in the boot with either a stethoscope or other sound amplifier to pinpoint exactly where in the rear its coming from and it will be apparent immedfiately if its inside the car or outside but stone entrapment is a first check!

Hi, I think I found the source of the noise. A friend of mine drove the car while I was in the back and yes, the noise came from underneth the car. Right under that point there's the two suspension arms. Maybe the bushing are a bit worn or dry because when I put a lot of WD40 the noise, on the driver side, just disappeared and on the passenger I can barely hear it. So, what I'm going to do is to inject with a siringe some engine oil, trying to lube the bushings and solve the problem. Obviously they need to be replaced. In 2 or 3 moths I havo to replace the two inner tie rods at the front that are worn out (in Italy roads are a comple mess).

Yes I drove in Malcesine and Sorrento and roads are bad but not as bad as UK - UK is like battlefield of the Somme.

Ben fatto almeno sai senso dell'umorismo scozzese!

Gemelli

I hope I write english better than your italian xD anyway, you should come to my city, Pescara, it's a real mess. I think I'm going to buy a Defender to drive in the city lol

On 01/10/2016 at 9:14 AM, gianluca212 said:

So, what I'm going to do is to inject with a siringe some engine oil, trying to lube the bushings and solve the problem.

That reminds me, I did that on a Vauxhall, years ago. There was an annoying squeak from the rear suspension. The rubber seal had split, and I injected plenty of gearbox oil. Worked fine for a good 2 or 3 years, until the car got scrapped for emissions.

Thanks for letting us know, & your english is better than many English!