Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 focus steering controls won't work

Steallen

Anyone know how to fix steering controls on mk3 focus left controls work fine for radio but right ones don't work at all they do light up but don't work dash functions I've only just bought the car so don't know how long it's been like this I've seen this problem on here before but they never said whether they fixed the problem 

thanks

you need to remove steering wheel airbag ( disconect battery and wait 30 mins before removing airbag)then unplug the main connector to clock spring, spray electrical contact cleaner on wiring connevtor, apply a very small amount of electrical contact grease to connector and refit. do the same for both control buttons wiring connectors. that should fix it, could be faulty control but i doubt it.

air bag is a bit tricky to remove, only a flat blade screwdriver required inserting from the rear of steering wheel .

• 2 weeks later...

I tried earlier to remove airbag couldn't get it off

I tried with a flatblade screwdriver in the bigger hole at back of steering wheel while pulling airbag but couldn't get either side to move

it can be tricky, but make sure your your putting screwdriver in the correct holes , if you search for jw1982 biuld thread (mk 3 champions edition) i  sure theres a diagram showing airbag removal. i will see if i can link you to it.

follow that link and you can see where and at what angle screwdriver insertion and twist.

• Like 1

thats unlucky then, also unlucky is i have a spare right fully functioning button but for later mk3(controls radio and sync voice) , not yours.

• Like 1

Yes that's the one I need with voice controls and volume buttons, where are you located? 

Are these the right buttons for this year

thanks

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

?? you got a mixture there, is that a photo you took of yours??

if it is yours then no wonder it doesnt work, that photo shows 2 volume controls

theres your problem , did you not think why you had 2 volume controls?

how old is your focus? the older versions had identical looking buttons , not the volume/sync button.

Won't matter what model, as long as you get the right side, as the left and right could be different fixing, or pins. Im wondering why you have the wrong one? If the whole airbag assy inc buttons has been changed , I wonder if the wiring to buttons is correct. You won't know until you have the correct right button. On mine there is 4pins on left and 5pins on right. Maybe yours should be 4 pins both sides. Not sure