Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cat

Gavingilmour@live.co.uk

Hi all, pretty new to this not very mechanical minded. I wanted to decat my focus 1.8tdci but my usual mechanic had it in for wheel bearing other day said he took a look and it needs all sub frame dropping to get to it and is alot of work. Whats peoples history with these and is there a trick to it? Thanks

On 29/09/2016 at 8:19 AM, Gavingilmour@live.co.uk said:

wanted to decat my focus 1.8tdci but my usual mechanic had it in for wheel bearing other day said he took a look and it needs all sub frame dropping

According to Haynes, there is just an "underfloor brace" which needs unbolting for access. It does not look like a major job, except that many of the bolts will be well rusted in.

I would be most worried about the turbo to cat bolts. They get hottest, and may have been in a long time. If one shears, leaving part in the turbo, it will be a huge headache.

I would not have thought any gains in reduced exhaust backpressure would be significant enough to justify the work & worry. It is not like a naturally aspirated engine where every mBar makes a difference. Under power, the exhaust pressure drop across the turbo will comparable to the boost pressure, ie 1.4Bar.

• Like 1

easy enough to remove, but as peter said you could have problems with the nuts.

• Like 1

So not a case of the wishbone like my guy thinks? Thats fine i will probably take a look at state of bolts and decide whether i dare.

• Like 1

nope, just a bracing bar, ive removed a few to get at the turbo, and took all of 15 mins to get off, admittingly i used a ramp so that made it alot easier to work on

Got a ramp so that's sorted just not the one doing most of the work will be a friend but he was making out as if it was difficult just wanted to prove him wrong lol

• 1 month later...

Update, was having the clutch changed other day so decided to bang the cat off whike there, came off dead easy didn't even need heat or wd40 :)