Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel clean

voodoo333

Owning a diesel doing small local runs is not ideal for this type of car. I have had a slight dip in power when applying acceleration. 

I think the car has a particle buildup and needs a deep clean to sort it.

Can any of you guys suggest the best fluids/treatment  to flush the system of all the crap that has built up. 

BTW I have had the dpf took out. 

Cheers in advance. 

I think you're looking for some generic diesel system cleaner. For example something from wynn's, a pretty well known brand name in this sort of realm. Something like this: http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/wynns-xtreme-diesel-system-cleaner-325ml

I haven't used this one myself before but I have used their DPF cleaner and Redex for diesel's before. I use the Redex every 3rd tank just for peace of mind and because its not that expensive. I honestly have no idea if it does anything or not. Thats probably the most honest answer you'll get because the people who tend to review these products with amazing results, in my opinion, are blowing it out of proportion. I think there's a similar theme with these sort of products that you really know no idea if they work or not and there is a bit of a placebo effect.

I'm interested in the responses you get as well, I too have a diesel and mostly do short 3 or 4 mile trips with a 50 mile trip 2 or 3 times a month. I have dpf removed and plan on getting the EGR blanked. What damage am I doing to the system by doing short trips? I was always under the impression it was just harmful to the dpf and egr.

I'm doing very low miles in a diesel too, and found that Shells V Power nitro + diesel is great because its very low soot level of 5ppm.   As far as I'm aware in seven years of ownership I have never once had an issue with dpf or any regens done in my Mondeo 2.0tdci.

1 hour ago, Joss max said:

Probably the best thing you can do to restore your diesel is to have it Terra Clean. http://www.terraclean.co.uk/

https://www.terraclean.co.uk/how-terraclean-works

Quite a few guys on FOC have used this service and swear by it

Ed my old China, is that you?

Terraclean does seem to get a good press. However I've also heard it causing problems on well bedded in engines. Sometimes that dirt keeps everything in. 

I tried Millers Diesel additives few years ago. Didn't seem detrimental but I suspected a placebo benefit. 

At the end of the day, the Italians have the best idea for a cobweb cleaner. 

Did a 40min motorway drive and the car certainly seems to be a lot smoother. Initially was a bit jerky but got smoother. 

No hiccupping on acceleration,when doing 10mins of street driving after motorway run. 

So I'm thinking there is a buildup of crud that has burned away . Im going to buy a few cleaning products to clean the system further. Just ordered  Forte Diesel Treatment + turbo cleaner,  Wynns diesel clean and Wynns injectors clean

Get some diesel purge and run it neat through the system (as per instructions), to be fair the car will need a good long run as the cat might start to clog with the shorter journeys - diesels aren't meant for short runs.

11 hours ago, goldtail77 said:

Terraclean does seem to get a good press. However I've also heard it causing problems on well bedded in engines. Sometimes that dirt keeps everything in. 

I tried Millers Diesel additives few years ago. Didn't seem detrimental but I suspected a placebo benefit. 

I can only speak from my own experience but my 1.8 TDCI engine with 121 miles on the clock (at the time it was Terracleaned) was running crap (rough idle, didn't rev as freely as when I bought it, lots of soot when booting it, pipes coked up (thanks to the wife running it on Morrisons diesel which has more crappy BIO-diesel in it than other brands).

I had it done at a garage that has a good reputation locally for doing a Terraclean properly, in the 9-10 months since I've had it done it still runs great and I've not had any issues due to having the old carbon build up removed.

I'm confident the basic science behind it works because I took at picture of one of the inside of one of the pipes which was constricted by about 50%, afterwards it was how it should be.

5 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

I can only speak from my own experience but my 1.8 TDCI engine with 121 miles on the clock (at the time it was Terracleaned) was running crap (rough idle, didn't rev as freely as when I bought it, lots of soot when booting it, pipes coked up (thanks to the wife running it on Morrisons diesel which has more crappy BIO-diesel in it than other brands).

I had it done at a garage that has a good reputation locally for doing a Terraclean properly, in the 9-10 months since I've had it done it still runs great and I've not had any issues due to having the old carbon build up removed.

I'm confident the basic science behind it works because I took at picture of one of the inside of one of the pipes which was constricted by about 50%, afterwards it was how it should be.

Which cleaning operation did you go for? From the Irish one there seems to be a few different options: http://www.terracleanireland.ie/pricing Obviously if I don't have a DPF I wont be getting that one. The only real option left seems to be the standard fuel system cleaning but I would assume that doesn't cover exhaust cleaning?

The options available for diesels seem to be focused on DPF, EGR or fuel lines nothing about a generic system clean?

Also the diesel is direct injection so it wouldn't clean the intake (which usually gets clogged up the worst anyway).

4 hours ago, andy1741 said:

Which cleaning operation did you go for? From the Irish one there seems to be a few different options: http://www.terracleanireland.ie/pricing Obviously if I don't have a DPF I wont be getting that one. The only real option left seems to be the standard fuel system cleaning but I would assume that doesn't cover exhaust cleaning?

The options available for diesels seem to be focused on DPF, EGR or fuel lines nothing about a generic system clean?

The De-Carbonising one.

16 hours ago, goldtail77 said:

It isn't the cause. It exposes weaknesses in the engine. I've had it done myself, and it works a treat. Sorted my DPF soot issue right out and the car ran like an absolute train. However that was on my MK2.5 with the 16v 1.6TDCi engine, which unfortunately due to poor servicing and lack of knowledge at the time suffered an injector seal failure, and the Terraclean probably removed some carbon keeping them sealed so it accelerated my fate and was unavoidable! 

1 minute ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

It isn't the cause. It exposes weaknesses in the engine. I've had it done myself, and it works a treat. Sorted my DPF soot issue right out and the car ran like an absolute train. However that was on my MK2.5 with the 16v 1.6TDCi engine, which unfortunately due to poor servicing and lack of knowledge at the time suffered an injector seal failure, and the Terraclean probably removed some carbon keeping them sealed so it accelerated my fate and was unavoidable! 

It isn't the cause but is a consideration when getting such a process done. Which is why I said sometimes the dirt keeps it all together. Terraclean and other such processes certainly have their place in keeping our cars on the road. With all non-invasive processes, you won't always see the bad stuff that can bubble to the surface until it is too late. I considered it on my 2004 TDCi Edge before giving it to my mum. Would it have saved or brought forward my High Pressure Fuel pump failure a year later?

For me I'd use Terraclean as a routine maintenance process, say every couple of years. Preventing any nasty build ups that may cause problems and then get worse taking the build up out in a big whack.

• Like 2