Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Satnav SD cards

Falkie

Hi and hello to all fellow Ford owners. I have just become the proud ownder of a Wildtrak 2016 3.2 automatic and have some questions. I'm really hoping that people may be able to help me out.

1. It has satnav but there is no SD card. I'm in the Falklands, so any UK satnav SD is useless for me. My boat (garmin) uses a satnav based on South America so I am wondering whether there is a Ford Sync 2 SD that covers my area (i.e. including the Falkland Islands). It would be useful to simply show tourists where they are rather than for directions - I already know where I am going when off-road !!

2. If there is no SD card for my area, how can I use my iPhone off-line to show the same thing ?  I have researched Applink, but there seems to be very little help out there and car play (Apple's thingy) does not seem to work.Looking online, there are very few apps that are Applink enabled

3. Does anyone know what file format the Ford SD card is ? Just thinking that I might be able to change the format off my Garmin so that might work. 

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestons

The Ford nav data is based on tomtom data but is rejigged to match the Ford Sync system.

I would assume that the reason you didn't get a nav SD with the car is because there is no nav data available for the Falkland islands.

Have you looked at the Navmii app? It uses offline mapping in conjunction with live GPS data.

It may have map data relevant to you.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Just checked and Navmii doesn't cover you unless it's covered by maps for Chile or 'cough' Argentina 'cough'.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Hi Stoney - thanks for that and most of the software for maps around his part of the world does include the "A" place (haha). I had a look at Navmii but it doesn;t seem to include anything around S America. Have you any idea how I can get my phone apps to show up on te screen ? I've had a look at carlink (the app) but it doesn;t sseem to be compatible with Sync2 whch is a pity. I guess Sync3 might do the job ? Cheers and thanks for the response.

Completely off topic...but I'd love to go back to the Falklands!! Spent a little bit of time in East Cove - but not enough to actually get to explore anywhere (other than the mess at MPA lol)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Sync 2 uses HERE maps, old system used TomTom, not sure what Sync 3 uses.

Hi Alex - just wondered if you could explain HeRE as I am new to Fords ? Do you hapoen to know the file format (thinking I may be able to use files off a Garmin)

4 hours ago, SeanW said:

Completely off topic...but I'd love to go back to the Falklands!! Spent a little bit of time in East Cove - but not enough to actually get to explore anywhere (other than the mess at MPA lol)

Hi Sean - off topic is good !! (hey ho). East Cove is a bit dreary I'll admit so am guessing Port Troop maybe ? as for MPA (aka Darth Star ?) least said the better, but there are some great off-road places that tourists never get to see. If you ever come back here give me a shout !!

RFA - I was on the Gold Rover at the time lol

If I am lucky enough, I will certainly give you a shout!! :-)

As for MPA...the Officers Mess has good food and isn't the ship - both bonuses for me lol

Just now, SeanW said:

RFA - I was on the Gold Rover at the time lol

If I am lucky enough, I will certainly give you a shout!! :-)

As for MPA...the Officers Mess has good food and isn't the ship - both bonuses for me lol

aha...the Gold Rover. Yes, I remember being literally dropped off the GR in Falkland Sound on a windsurfer some years ago - only problem was it was blowing a hooligh - approx 50 knots, which made it all a bit tricky (haha). However, the drinks went down well after a near drowning :)

Just now, alexp999 said:

Ford SD cards are locked and encrypted.

Thanks for that Alex - looks like I am stuffed - oh well, not that important

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club