Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo Underboost

Remi Whitelock

Hi all. 

I own a 2010 Focus Zetec S 1.6tdci with 57,000 miles on the clock.

I've had an ongoing problem where if I take it over 3000rpm, drive up hill or go on motorway journeys, the car will go into limp mode with error code 0299 (turbo underboost). When I restart the car limp mode goes off but will come back if one of the 3 are repeated. 

Looking at turbo underboost faults I cleaned out the egr which most forums recommended. The problem was still there.

The next common fault was lack of air flow, I then checked the pipes/hoses and found the "Air Flow Pipe Tube Inlet Hose" (found on eBay see images) and found there was a couple of splits and the fitting was loose  so I replaced the part for a new one. 

Took the car for a drive started off with a little bit of white smoke then nothing, went over 3000rpm the car didn't go into limp mode all running fine issue solved. Then there was a huge amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust and a smell of burning rubber from engine. 

Pulled over, popped the bonnet, there was oil everywhere, I mean f*%king EVERYWHERE lol !! The dipstick Popped out this is where the oil was coming from

Filled back up with oil to take me back home and with a huge amount of white smoke coming from exhaust and smell of burning rubber still, What is my problem ??

( I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense I tried my best to explain lol) 

thanks for your help! 

IMG_4700.JPG

IMG_4701.JPG

IMG_4689.PNG

25 minutes ago, Remi Whitelock said:

back

Might have found the problem. The pcv non return valve, when stuck it the air its way out of the nearest point which is the dipstick, explains why it popped with the pressure. 

This may be the problem?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Remi Whitelock said:

The pcv non return valve, when stuck

Hi, Remi.

Anything that blocks the crankcase breather system will pressurise the crankcase, and probably force oil out via the weakest point. On my Vectra, that was the camcover gasket. On your Focus, it may be the dipstick.

The hose you replaced is, I think, part of the breather system, the return to the intake. Check there is nothing blocking the smaller pipe.

Burning rubber smell could possibly be hot oil, they are both unpleasant burning smells. But it does not explain the white smoke from the exhaust. Check the coolant level for any drop. White smoke is usually either coolant, or unburnt fuel. The smell will tell which.

Have a look at the oil, on the dipstick, and under the filler cap. Look for any water or grey emulsion. Some head gasket failures, oil cooler failures, or other events, can allow water & steam into the crankcase, which will pass through the engine to the exhaust as white smoke, and pressurise the crankcase.

When you run it up with the pcv unblocked or bypassed (tie a piece of cloth over the open oil filler hole?), monitor it carefully for coolant loss. Also look at the auxillary belt, if is is slipping or smoking. If it has oil on it, it will need cleaning. Listen for odd noises from that end of the engine,  just in case the water pump has seized or failed. (Stop immediately in that case, or the cambelt could fail)

With luck, it will just be a side effect of the blocked breather, and all will be well. Please post here, either way.

Peter.

PCV valves are great until they go wrong, as said if it is blocked pressure in the crank case will build up instead of being vented to the atmosphere, then the oil will come out of the easiest route, usually the dipstick holder.

PCV valves should usually be replaced at some point even though they often don't feature on a service schedule.

This was a common problem on the M47R BMW engine in the ZTT/Rover 75 by the PCV valve being overlooked.

I actually don't know if the PCV valve is a part that can be changed on the DV6 engine to be fair.

But a blocked PCV valve can cause oil seals to be damaged and then the car will start burning oil, I hope yours does not end up being terminal but it doesn't sound too good.