Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is my gearbox defunct or starting to defunct?

Tomson

Good morning,

I apologise for putting this here. My thinking is others might have experienced my problem as my particular gearbox is used by other models in the Ford range. Cast a bigger net, so to speak.

Car: Ford Focus Estate 1.6 Ecoboost 182 – 2012 ‘62’ plate

Problem:

Gearbox Seizes in neutral whilst cycling gears, sometimes whilst stationary, sometimes whilst on the motorway. Ive had the car 2 weeks, its been back in once where the fault couldn’t be replicated. Ive made notes which I’ve sent to the manager to catalogue the issue.

Saturday 24.09.16 – Pick up from Ford Garage (No name as not here to bash), Gear change from 2nd to 3rd – Gear stick seizes in neutral during change, zero movement, unable to select gears until stationary.

Monday 26.09.16 – Entering the motorway from work, Gear change from 4th to 5th – Gear stick seizes in neutral during change, zero movement, luckily issue passes whilst on the move.

Thursday 29.09.16 – Stationary in work carpark, Gear change from Neutral to 1st – Gear stick seizes in neutral during change, zero movement, unable to select gears until issue passes.

Saturday 01.10.16 – A55 from Holyhead to Conwy area, entering steep hill, Gear change from 6th to 5th to prevent strain on transmission – Gear stick seizes in neutral during change, zero movement, unable to select gears until stationary from 70mph.

Sunday 02.10.16 – Neutral to Reverse, reverse hill start at Llanberis, unable to select reverse several times. Once reverse selected, grinding “whizzing” noise, no smells, no movement. This happened twice.

I’ve looked at how I might be driving, seeing if its something im doing, but even driving with deliberately goofy gears changes doesn’t seem to make it present its self. Its completely random when it happens.

Does any one know whats going on here? Is it a Synchro-mesh issue, or have I got a bigger problem? The car has covered 38k miles and I have a 12 month warranty with it which ive requested to be used on dismantling parts from the car for a proper inspection rather than the initial ‘long 30 miles test’ to replicate the issue.

I have no idea whats going on…

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club