Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any laptop brain boxes,help on WiFi/Ethernet.

jace1969

I have a MSi laptop (GE62 6QD Apache Pro ) and is amazing but i have a problem switching from Ethernet to WiFi Auto.

In one room i use cable being bad signal,i shut it down as it should be done then pull cable out,reboot laptop and it still can see the cable but with a cross in it as its not in.

I have to then,reboot fully then close down then reboot again and the tv screen in bottom right of screen turns to WiFi signal,drivers on both are updated but its a pain.

Help.........Please.

I did send MSi a online message on there forum but no reply as its a 7 day reply thing.

Sounds like your wifi card is not taking over from the Ethernet when it should.

Next time you disconnect the cable, open control panel, click on "View network statue and tasks" then "change adapter settings from the left hand side.

You should have at least two icons here with information next to them, one will be your local area connection, the other will be wifi. Right click on wifi and select "disable" Wait 30 sec, then right click and Enable it again. 

This will prompt the wifi card into looking for a signal. 

These instructions are from using a Win 7 pc, but should be similar in windows 8/10.

• Like 1

Seconded for Arwen. My first check would be your Network Properties section. Sounds as if the cards/adapters are conflicting with each other. My work laptop spends most of it's day plugged in via cable, however if I unplug and turn wifi on, it changes seamlessly (when it works...corporate IT isn't all it's cracked up to be...)

20 hours ago, Benji. said:

Seconded for Arwen. My first check would be your Network Properties section. Sounds as if the cards/adapters are conflicting with each other. My work laptop spends most of it's day plugged in via cable, however if I unplug and turn wifi on, it changes seamlessly (when it works...corporate IT isn't all it's cracked up to be...)

I think you are spoton with the conflicting to me,its this Killer network card as it don't have a massive amount of setting,will have a look into that.

Here is what i have checked,i didn't think a lot would look at this topic being low in the forum list and this problem is a pain.

Been onto the network setting(network and sharing) then adapter setting on the left,i have 3 screens so here we go.

bluetooth network connection 2 (red cross when on Ethernet cable in)

Ethernet 2 /5g (green tick as cable in)

WI-fi 2 (dual band Ac 3165-2) red cross when cable in

See what i cant understand i have this Killer Ethernet with MSi laptop and working great but WiFi should have it but it always say intel R Dual Band on WiFi and if

the Ethernet is connected i get the Killer Ethernet,should i get Killer WiFi when connected and if so i cant see any setting for the killer WiFi only intel R.

...Edit...

Tried while screen was open on the 3 connection screens on,pulled Ethernet cable out and red cross in Ethernet box all good but

WiFi don't kick in still red cross,go onto WiFi setting and disable as you said and connect and signal turns green and connect.

Ok so if this was my laptop I'd be uninstalling any software that is trying to control/manage the WiFi or Ethernet. 

Do the following if you have not done already. https://steamcommunity.com/app/282350/discussions/0/620696522045031250/%3Fl%3Drussian

Also do the same for the WiFi, be it a killer one if Intel's own software. 

90% sure that if you remove all that management software and allow windows to do it itself they will work fine. 

What i have done and works a lot better,updated the killer software which is all drivers/setting,turned of the power saving

on both of them,to be honest i don't think it does a lot on the WiFi side just bandwidth control that i have let ticked as there is no setting

on that side as it all is set to the AC intel R Duel adapter and that is the only setting there all under the Adapter setting.

The Ethernet side is designed for the gaming side which the speed is amazing when on the cable,now when i pull the cable out it goes auto

to WiFi so some of the updates or setting have solved a few things as yet.