Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Experian check/anyone used it.

jace1969

Was looking at a few just for piece of mind and this seems the best one but it says £14.99 or cancel after you start,any used then canceled it.

Only want a one off and free or cheap.

12 minutes ago, Bobr said:

So just do the 30 day free trial then cancel,is it a good one as they only name 3,this works like Experian where if you leave it its £14.99 month.

Experian seems the top one.

Experion or equifax are the 2 main credit ref agencies used by most companies. 30 day free trial for full access. Download what you want. then just cancel before 30 days is up.

All other credit agencies even the free ones get their info from the 2 companies named at the beginning of post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joss max said:

Experion or equifax are the 2 main credit ref agencies used by most companies. 30 day free trial for full access. Download what you want. then just cancel before 30 days is up.

All other credit agencies even the free ones get their info from the 2 companies named at the beginning of post.

+1 What he says :wink:

• Like 1

Cheers for that its a massive help.

Do be aware that even checking your credit score can strangely enough have a negative impact on your score.

Sent from my SM-G930F

I use a thing called clearscore.  It's really good + it' free and you get an updated score every month telling you if it's dropped or raised by however many points, tells you what your short + long term debt is and it gives you tips on what to do etc

If you've got a Barclaycard, you can log in to your online account and check your Experian score for free.

If you want a 100% non effect score, then see your local independent financial adviser as they can access it without effecting the score. 

• Like 1

ive used clearscore, and experian, experian seems to give a better score( right or wrong no idea)

On 07/10/2016 at 7:55 PM, Joss max said:

As i said above

21 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Do be aware that even checking your credit score can strangely enough have a negative impact on your score.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Getting a Credit Report is Going to Harm Your Credit Score

When you make credit card or loan application, it does involve a search of your credit history, and this could impact your credit score. This is more likely to happen if there are many of these searches in a short period of time because this could indicate fraudulent activity (e.g. somebody has stolen your identity, and is trying to borrow money by pretending to be you).

If you ask for a credit report it is treated differently. This type of search is referred to as a ‘soft-inquiry’ because it is not being used as a basis of borrowing money. Even if you are a business owner who wants regular credit reports, it is not going to have any impact on your overall credit score, and it is not going to be seen as suspicious.

• Like 1

ive got barclaycard and didnt realise you could do that. just had a look and now requesting it, was 10 yrs ago i checked using experian, and was 996 out of 1000 and huge mortgage on my own. no spare cash , divorce took what i did have. be interesting what it is 10 yrs on different (better) circustances,

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dal. said:

This is a good guide to explaining credit checks along with the common "hitters" you might not otherwise realise did.

https://www.unbiased.co.uk/news/you-wont-believe-what-can-harm-your-credit-score/4875

Some are these are mad, im with natwest so will look online see if they do one for free linked to my natwest, a friend askedme ages ago about

them and i was going to have a mess,reading some of the stuff on this link is weird,cash machines can make them lower,who don't use cash machines.

22 hours ago, iantt said:

ive got barclaycard and didnt realise you could do that. just had a look and now requesting it, was 10 yrs ago i checked using experian, and was 996 out of 1000 and huge mortgage on my own. no spare cash , divorce took what i did have. be interesting what it is 10 yrs on different (better) circustances,

To a point, ignore the numbers. Also note that Experian have recently changed how they generate the scores, so most customers scores have reduced.

No creditor receives the number you see, it's just designed to give you an indication of how well you run your accounts. Creditors gather the information (usually only from one agency as it costs loads) then depending on how they want to assess their customers (if they want to be cautious or risky) you'll either be accepted or declined.

Take that from someone who used to develop and code the credit and collections decision systems for one of the Big 4 Banks.

22 hours ago, Dal. said:

This is a good guide to explaining credit checks along with the common "hitters" you might not otherwise realise did.

https://www.unbiased.co.uk/news/you-wont-believe-what-can-harm-your-credit-score/4875

With this, bear in mind that your cash withdrawal info and similar info is only held by your existing bank, and not on your credit file, therefore it will not be used by another lender to score you. This can be good and bad if you've messed up a little bit, and it's not recorded on your credit file (because you corrected the account before the do their monthly update) because another lender will never know, but your current provider will mark you down for it.

Another thing to bear in mind is that in the UK there are 3 main agencies. (Experian, Equifax and Call Credit) Different lenders use different combinations of agency. 

Bigger lenders tend to upload information (monthly), to 2 or 3 of the agencies, but might only use 1 or 2 of the to score new customers.

Smaller lenders tend to only deal with 1 agency to upload and score new customers.

If you are looking at getting a mortgage for example, and you've messed up a little in the past, it can be worth checking your record with all 3, then choosing a lender where your mess up will not be seen as you know which agency it's registered with and can avoid lenders that use it. A useful table is here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/credit-reference

18 minutes ago, jace1969 said:

Some are these are mad, im with natwest so will look online see if they do one for free linked to my natwest, a friend askedme ages ago about

them and i was going to have a mess,reading some of the stuff on this link is weird,cash machines can make them lower,who don't use cash machines.

Thats talking about taking Cash off a credit card, not a debit card :)

10 minutes ago, Jon84 said:

If you are looking at getting a mortgage for example, and you've messed up a little in the past, it can be worth checking your record with all 3, then choosing a lender where your mess up will not be seen as you know which agency it's registered with and can avoid lenders that use it. A useful table is here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/credit-reference

Or for the sake of a couple of hundred quid it'd be well worth getting an independent Financial Advisor and letting them sort it for you if you've a chequered credit file. They can access all your credit scores (without leaving a footprint) and match your profile to the financial institutions criteria for acceptance. They can also get rates and deals that you as joe public can't.

2 minutes ago, Dal. said:

Or for the sake of a couple of hundred quid it'd be well worth getting an independent Financial Advisor and letting them sort it for you if you've a chequered credit file. They can access all your credit scores (without leaving a footprint) and match your profile to the financial institutions criteria for acceptance. They can also get rates and deals that you as joe public can't.

Getting your own credit file does not leave a footprint. I provided a Mortgage Advisor with my credit files, and they couldn't get me a better rate than I got on the High St myself, plus they were slower (I had to keep chasing), had poor access and communications with the lenders. Yes they have access to lenders that we do no get on the High St, some of the very obscure Building Societies, but if your credit file is that busted to need them, you're probably not going to be in a position to afford payments

It's different for different people I guess.

Sounds like a crap IFA to me. I did the first 2 years training to become one a few years back (but then circumstances changed so I couldn't continue) but like to keep abreast of things. 

This is interesting how this works,checking them each month as things do change,this can have a good and bad area.

How far back do these go like 20 years or so,i see loads on adverts now 'check how you manage your finances'

well , i checked my credit score on barlaycard , 999 out of 999. cant improve on that then.lol

• Like 3

Credit scores are very misleading and completely made up.

Lenders do not quantify a score for your lending potential. Yes they do weigh up various history aspects to assess the risk of lending to them, which could be argued as a score. What they don't do is take an arbitrary number from a Credit Reference Agency. 

The main things in my experience to monitor are: - Existing credit commitments, timeliness of payments to all lending sources (inc mobile phones, monthly insurances), any defaults or court procedures, disposable income (funnily enough credit agency doesn't know that), frequency of reliance on debt.

In most cases you will know all these things yourself. The other common misconception is I never borrow so my 'rating' is high. Not so an 18 year old fresh out of school has no debt but no history to prove how well they deal with it. So no prior lending activity makes your eligibility low, especially on bigger unsecured requests.

On 12/10/2016 at 1:25 PM, goldtail77 said:

Credit scores are very misleading and completely made up.

Lenders do not quantify a score for your lending potential. Yes they do weigh up various history aspects to assess the risk of lending to them, which could be argued as a score. What they don't do is take an arbitrary number from a Credit Reference Agency. 

The main things in my experience to monitor are: - Existing credit commitments, timeliness of payments to all lending sources (inc mobile phones, monthly insurances), any defaults or court procedures, disposable income (funnily enough credit agency doesn't know that), frequency of reliance on debt.

In most cases you will know all these things yourself. The other common misconception is I never borrow so my 'rating' is high. Not so an 18 year old fresh out of school has no debt but no history to prove how well they deal with it. So no prior lending activity makes your eligibility low, especially on bigger unsecured requests.

This is true as some are all over the place,i think it just says if you are a risk to lend money to so if a bad score then you pay more or a fat NO.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club