Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing belt change - should I?

Incontro

Hi all,

So the Focus is due very soon it's annual service, major one this time - being a 59 plate, it's the 7th annual service. As usual, I will go down the Motorcraft main dealer route.

So 195 quid for major motorcraft service, 30 quid for MOT, and 50 quid (approx) for brake fluid change. However, it's also approaching the 8 year/100,000 miles mark for a timing belt change - since it is a belt driven (Duratec 1.6 100PS) engine. I have heard people recommending to get that replaced early, and not to necessarily wait until its due date.

So my main questions are:

(1) In your opinion, should I get it replaced now, during its upcoming service? (Or wait until next year?)

(2) If yes, should I also get all the tensioners and the water pump replaced at the same time too?

(3) Any rough idea of costs? I'll try to haggle a bit, but don't know if they'll budge (being a main dealer). Maybe they can chuck in a free odour filter replacement.

Cheers

Hello Mr Duck

5 minutes ago, Incontro said:

Hi all,

So the Focus is due very soon it's annual service, major one this time - being a 59 plate, it's the 7th annual service. As usual, I will go down the Motorcraft main dealer route.

So 195 quid for major motorcraft service, 30 quid for MOT, and 50 quid (approx) for brake fluid change. However, it's also approaching the 8 year/100,000 miles mark for a timing belt change - since it is a belt driven (Duratec 1.6 100PS) engine. I have heard people recommending to get that replaced early, and not to necessarily wait until its due date.

So my main questions are:

(1) In your opinion, should I get it replaced now, during its upcoming service? (Or wait until next year?)

(2) If yes, should I also get all the tensioners and the water pump replaced at the same time too?

(3) Any rough idea of costs? I'll try to haggle a bit, but don't know if they'll budge (being a main dealer). Maybe they can chuck in a free odour filter replacement.

Cheers

1. Yes. Better safe than sorry is my moto

2. Yes. Especial considering the mileage

3. No idea TBH but haggling sounds good. Is the car Petrol or Diesel?

• Like 1

Just now, Joss max said:

Hello Mr Duck

1. Yes. Better safe than sorry is my moto

2. Yes. Especial considering the mileage

3. No idea TBH but haggling sounds good. Is the car Petrol or Diesel?

Quack quack! :laugh:

Car is petrol, approaching 31,000 miles. (Actually might sell it in around 12 months time if that matters, but that's a big "might".)

Hang on I seem to have miss read the mileage as 100k but you obviously meant equivalent 100k or 8 years. 31K is not a lot of mileage so maybe hold off the timing belt an other year. 

Hi. I am in a similar position with the identical engine but at 68k.

Re cost you might find this interesting:

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/Motorcraft/Repairs/WaterPump-TimingBelt

31k for a 09 plate? Strewth!

13 minutes ago, Incontro said:

(Actually might sell it in around 12 months time if that matters, but that's a big "might".)

I'd hang on to it unless the perfect replacement turns up

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

Hi. I am in a similar position with the identical engine but at 68k.

Re cost you might find this interesting:

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/Motorcraft/Repairs/WaterPump-TimingBelt

31k for a 09 plate? Strewth!

I'd hang on to it unless the perfect replacement turns up

I bought an 08 plate last year with 31,000 on it! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Russ said:

I bought an 08 plate last year with 31,000 on it!

Blimey! I thought I was doing well with 61k on a 10 plate but not so wonderful really - 10k/year - average...

• Like 2

yup , as per trailers link , £440 for pump and timing belt at a ford dealership.

but if you are thinking of selling it next year and considering its really low milage for its year , i probably wouldnt replace the belt & pump and just get the service done 

let the next owner take the near 500 pound hit for the work as its money your not going to recoup from the sale of the car.......... 

• Like 2

It seems the people who buy autos new don't want to drive them anywhere, they're often low mileage! :laugh:

My 08 diesel is on 66k now, so I win lowest diesel for year so far... :wink: 

I wouldn't bother changing the belt on yours yet personally, I take no responsibility if it does snap though lol. 

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

It seems the people who buy autos new don't want to drive them anywhere, they're often low mileage! :laugh:

thats cos anyone who enjoys the actual driving experience buys a manual........

;-) 

• Like 1

I have the same car on a 09 plate, my next door neighbor has the same engine on a 2007 Titanium. I had mine done two months ago, by Ford dealer with a Motorcraft service, I have only done 48000  but car is over 7 years old and I got it done as I think they're 'interference' engines? (hope that's right) so it can be messy if belt breaks.

Nor sure if I'm going to keep car but it's got full main dealer service and they did cam belt and water pump too now.

They haven't let me down I know the parts are good, and price is on the web so I know I not being ripped off.

My neighbor hasn't had his changed yet similar mileage approaching ten years.

I have never heard of a Focus cam belt breaking but if one did it would be mine! 

I just did mine at 118,000 miles. Though I believe my engine is Non-interference. I have searched the log book, and could not find any record of it being done.

440 quid?? Jesus! I thought it would be around 300.

In that case, and since a few people have said I can hold off for another year, I may just as well do that. Apart from the slightly high fuel consumption, and a non-working rear door speaker, it is completely faultless, and a joy to drive. So I'll probably end up hanging on to it for a while longer anyway.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

17 hours ago, Incontro said:

Jesus! I thought it would be around 300.

it might be nearer 300 if you get quotes from small independant garages..........

;-)

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/8/2016 at 7:34 PM, Incontro said:

Apart from the slightly high fuel consumption, and a non-working rear door speaker, it is completely faultless, and a joy to drive. So I'll probably end up hanging on to it for a while longer anyway.

Guess I spoke too soon. :sad:

Ford dealer said power steering system is leaking (at the bit where the high pressure pipe connects to the pump) -  £330 to repair. It's only a minor leak for now, but still best to get it done - the reservoir fluid level has dropped down to midway between MIN and MAX (over the course of a year).

And there is also a slight vibration at 70 MPH (car tracks straight if you let the steering wheel go, might be a worn CV joint), which will also cost to get fixed. And finally the timing belt replacement due within the next 12 months.

Even if I get all the above fixed, I somehow have the feeling that something else will eventually pop up - worried that it will turn into a money pit. So I've been eyeing used Civic's this weekend. 

Any opinions?

Why don't you get prices from local independants, An older car at a dealer is a safe way to part with loads of cash for no real benefit, 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Incontro said:

Guess I spoke too soon. :sad:

Ford dealer said power steering system is leaking (at the bit where the high pressure pipe connects to the pump) -  £330 to repair. It's only a minor leak for now, but still best to get it done - the reservoir fluid level has dropped down to midway between MIN and MAX (over the course of a year).

And there is also a slight vibration at 70 MPH (car tracks straight if you let the steering wheel go, might be a worn CV joint), which will also cost to get fixed. And finally the timing belt replacement due within the next 12 months.

Even if I get all the above fixed, I somehow have the feeling that something else will eventually pop up - worried that it will turn into a money pit. So I've been eyeing used Civic's this weekend. 

Any opinions?

I can give advice on Civics if that helps. After a Focus you will hate it. 

My wife bought an 09 Civic 2.2CDTi ES GT. It had everything except Leather and heated seats. The GT pack added 17" alloys, Nav and Parking sensors, Xenon. 

The 2.2 (140) ripped my Mk1.5 Edge (54) 1.8TDCi (115) apart. Everything else was horse poo. I hated the handling, ergonomics, driving position, and so on. 

The interior packaging is very good with the magic seats and huge boot. So it wasn't all bad. It's just the Focus has been class leader for so long, everything else seems poor. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, goldtail77 said:

I can give advice on Civics if that helps. After a Focus you will hate it. 

My wife bought an 09 Civic 2.2CDTi ES GT. It had everything except Leather and heated seats. The GT pack added 17" alloys, Nav and Parking sensors, Xenon. 

The 2.2 (140) ripped my Mk1.5 Edge (54) 1.8TDCi (115) apart. Everything else was horse poo. I hated the handling, ergonomics, driving position, and so on. 

The interior packaging is very good with the magic seats and huge boot. So it wasn't all bad. It's just the Focus has been class leader for so long, everything else seems poor. 

Thanks for the input mate, always appreciated :) I test drove one on the weekend, a 13 plate.

Good points:

• Ride quality is 100x better - completely ironed out the pothole-ridden road I take to work - smooth as silk, and not much body roll either. 
  • Road noise was BMW 3-series rivalling, and the engine noise was almost non-existent at < 3000 RPM. I was honestly surprised.
  • High quality interior - plenty of standard equipment, miles better quality than Mk2.5 Focus interior.
  • Claimed MPG of above 57 with a 1.8 N/A (140PS) petrol lump.

Bad points:

• Ugly rear. Overall admit that not as nice looking as even Focus Mk2.5.
  • Steering was completely numb, and devoid of any feedback whatsoever (especially apparent to a Mk2/Mk2.5 Focus owner)

Most car reviewers tend to give the Focus far better rating than any competitor in it's class, and that's mainly for the undoubtedly unrivaled driving experience and feel that it gives. However, in the long-run, things start going wrong - even the minor niggles are annoying - de-laminating headlamps, seat trim falling off, discoloring turn signals/brake lights etc (all of which I have, plus a few more I probably forgot). My family had a 2002 CR-V - in the 8 years of ownership (since new), the only thing that ever went wrong was the Auto Transmission Control Unit failing, which was an inexpensive fault to replace. The day it was sold, all interior and exterior wise looked mint. I don't know if Honda's are less well-built these days however. This is why I am beginning to consider other makes for my next car. Focus served me amazingly well as a first car (and will be sad to see it go), but perhaps it's time to move on...

We needed an new fuel line from the tank to front. Ours had rotten through. Honda tried to charge £600 till I pointed out we had full service history and Fuel lines had a 10 year warranty. 

Put me off but I know what your mean about the Fords not being perfect. 

• Like 1

I would not bother with the PSF leak, a litre of the stuff costs less than a Tenner. Just top it up a little higher each year.

Or

Something like this

Lucas oil 10008 Power Steering Stop Leak, 355 ml

• Like 1

i wouldnt be parting with over £300 to fix a minor leak that can be easily monitored & managed.

and if i wanted it fixed i'd be amazed if that repair bill couldnt be reduced to nearer 200 at an indy garage..

as for replacing the focus altogether for another car brand , well it depends whether to you driving experience is a bigger priority than reliability.

• Like 1

Have the same car/engine as you and recently had my timing belt and water pump replaced at around 75k miles. I bought the timing belt kit and water pump from Eurocarparts (totalling about 75, I think) and had the work done by a reputable local independent garage which was about 270.

• Like 1

I changed a Timing belt and Cylinder head Gasket on an Mk1 Rover 820 16v OHV when I was 17. It was my mums car and funds did not allow for a garage job of any sort. I had no fancy timing tools or anything. Tippex was my friend.My previous experience was an 8v Talbot Alpine 1.6 with push rods, now that was simple :)

With a Haynes Manual, this could be a DIY job but it does result in lots of Squeaky bum time while you quadruple check you have everything locked off and tight enough. Don't be too afraid to give it a go, what does a new engine cost anyway?

55 minutes ago, goldtail77 said:

I changed a Timing belt and Cylinder head Gasket on an Mk1 Rover 820 16v OHV when I was 17. It was my mums car and funds did not allow for a garage job of any sort. I had no fancy timing tools or anything. Tippex was my friend.My previous experience was an 8v Talbot Alpine 1.6 with push rods, now that was simple :)

With a Haynes Manual, this could be a DIY job but it does result in lots of Squeaky bum time while you quadruple check you have everything locked off and tight enough. Don't be too afraid to give it a go, what does a new engine cost anyway?

No garage, no tools, nigh impossible! Wouldn't trust myself anyway, only minor mods/maintenance for me. (Even if I were to, it would be on a 200 pound car from 1998, not a Focus worth around 4 grand - too much money at stake if something goes wrong.)

At least after 4 years of parking a few blocks away on the street, I'll finally be getting an allocated parking space (moving).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Incontro said:

No garage, no tools, nigh impossible! Wouldn't trust myself anyway, only minor mods/maintenance for me. (Even if I were to, it would be on a 200 pound car from 1998, not a Focus worth around 4 grand - too much money at stake if something goes wrong.)

At least after 4 years of parking a few blocks away on the street, I'll finally be getting an allocated parking space (moving).

Fair enough, I did at least have a drive back then. It's fair to say I don't have the innocence\ignorance of youth to try it today :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club