Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing belt change - should I?

Incontro

If it makes you feel better I have the exact same engine, 2007 at 118k and it's never been changed

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/23/2016 at 6:50 PM, Incontro said:

Guess I spoke too soon. :sad:

Ford dealer said power steering system is leaking (at the bit where the high pressure pipe connects to the pump) -  £330 to repair. It's only a minor leak for now, but still best to get it done - the reservoir fluid level has dropped down to midway between MIN and MAX (over the course of a year).

And there is also a slight vibration at 70 MPH (car tracks straight if you let the steering wheel go, might be a worn CV joint), which will also cost to get fixed. And finally the timing belt replacement due within the next 12 months.

Even if I get all the above fixed, I somehow have the feeling that something else will eventually pop up - worried that it will turn into a money pit. So I've been eyeing used Civic's this weekend. 

Any opinions?

Yes, I know I'm quoting myself, but just an update on this thread, in case anyone is interested in the outcome.

In the end I decided not to spend loads of dosh on upgrading to a Civic, and to keep my car for a minimum 6 months more (though most likely it will be around 12 months or longer), but get the power steering fixed at the cost quoted above. The vibration issue was fixed for only 27 quid at Kwik Fit, wheels needed rebalancing - smooth as silk at 70MPH now.

:smile:

I have a 58 plate MK2.5 focus with just gone 70K on the clock. (not bad considering the 3/4 round trips to Scotland a year from Wycombe) Anyway, got a new cam belt kit done back in September by a small local garage. Cost me £230-ish. I know the Haynes manual says to change it ever 60K / 8 years. And when I got my car services last year at a (rip off) Ford dealer, they mentioned it was almost due.

Having experienced my dad's vectras' ( 98 I think it was) belt snap while doing 70-80mph, I erred on the side of caution. But like I said, I have done 70K give or take.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect an this thread. I am going to be doing mine next year with a major servicing and wondered if anyone knew the correct parts needed from eurocarparts. My Indy quoted me 250 for the job cos I have been using them. Also the timing belt kit on eurocarparts is just the timing belt right and does not come with the water pump.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club