Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cigeratte lighter not working

adzie123

Hi all,

A bit of a funny one. I do know this topic has been displayed here before but I haven't been able to understand it fully. (hardly know much about cars!)

I was going to charge my phone via the cigarette lighter in my car today and noticed that the light on the charger wasn't working. I still tried charging my phone and of course...no luck!

The charger definitely works as I tried it in another car and there was no problem so its definitely my car.

First thing I did was look at the fuse diagram and the fuse. My car is a 56 plate Ford Fiesta MK 6.5 and the fuse diagram illustrates a 15A fuse is needed. The fuse box had a 20A surprisingly inserted instead...however the fuse seemed fine with no breaks. I tried a 15A fuse and still the cigarette lighter wouldn't work. 

I also cleaned the cigarette lighter and still had no luck. A few weeks ago a mechanic swapped the clutch and slave cylinder and he did take out the battery? Could it be that this may have caused a issue?

Decided to go down to Halfords...they wanted to charge me £100 to fix it at which point I thought no thanks? Seems a bit pricey.

I think maybe it might be worth changing the cigarette port so wanted to ask if anyone had any recommendations for one that I could use? Also, how can I check that there isn't a loose wiring underneath the cover? I know a bit about electronics ... just can't get to the wiring under the cigarette port.

• Like 1

Had this on a mk1 focus and it was the fuse?

I'm still looking for my lighter, and the ashtrays.

Progress.

You must not smoke in "our" Fiesta.

• Like 1

Strange  one but double check if it's the right fuse as the new fiesta lighter socket have got 2 different fuses well one isn't even a fuse it's a diod or something can't remember the name but also see inside your cig check if there is a coin in it as some ppl have kids and this is common 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paramanic said:

Strange  one but double check if it's the right fuse as the new fiesta lighter socket have got 2 different fuses well one isn't even a fuse it's a diod or something can't remember the name but also see inside your cig check if there is a coin in it as some ppl have kids and this is common 

Thanks Paramanic!

Never realised there were two fuses. I only checked the one on the bottom row however there was also one on the third row and that fuse had blown!

60p fuse from Maplins...quick swap and all is good!

• 5 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club