Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo won't start and cuts out when being driven

ekitteridge

I wonder if any one can shed some light on the problems with my 2006 Mondeo;

It does not start, particularly on cold damp mornings. The engine turns over but does not fire up, once it has been started and the engine is warm, it is fine for the rest of the day.

When idle the engine is noisy, but this quietens once the car is going. When being driven if i accelerate in a high gear, the engine cuts out and the glow light indicator comes on. It starts again fine once I switch the engine off and on again.

So far I have changed the fuel filter, it has new glow plugs, I have cleaned the EGR valve, the inlet manifold and it has a new air filter.

Any suggestions or ideas? 

4 hours ago, ekitteridge said:

the engine cuts out and the glow light indicator comes on.

There should be some diagnostic error codes (DTCs) stored in the car. You need a scanner. A basic OBD2 scanner like the U480 (search eBay, you will find lots) will read most engine related codes.

You have checked to most obvious culprits, so really could do with the help from the car's diagnostics now.

Ford will charge £50 to £100 just to check, and unless the fault has happened shortly before the test, they may miss it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I broke down again and the AA came to save me..... The very nice chap ran the diagnostic thingy and it came back with the following;

Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control 2 - 38X / EEC5-EDC Common RailP1211 - Rail pressure. Error Message : Value/signal outside range.P2291 - Rail pressure. Error Message : Pressure too low.P0251 - Injection pump. Error Message : Malfunction.Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control 2 - 38X / EEC5-EDC Common RailP1211 - Rail pressure. Error Message : Value/signal outside range.P2291 - Rail pressure. Error Message : Pressure too low.P0251 - Injection pump. Error Message : Malfunction.

Any suggestions? is it worth fixing or am i looking at scrapping the vehicle and getting a new one?

Thank you

2 hours ago, ekitteridge said:

P1211 - Rail pressure. Error Message : Value/signal outside range.P2291 - Rail pressure. Error Message : Pressure too low.P0251 - Injection pump. Error Message : Malfunction.

Not a very nice set of codes.sad.png Basically the fuel rail pressure is wrong, and it is hard to know exactly why.

The likely causes are:

Fuel supply to pump: Clogged filter (but you have changed it), air getting into the filter housing or pipes.

Faulty rail pressure transducer.

Worn fuel pump, or faulty IMV (regulating valve on the pump).

Injectors worn, excess leak off flow.

-----

It is worth double checking the filter, & the sealing of the pipes & filter housing. Some people put a bit of clear pipe in the line to the pump, which will show if air is entering.

IMV & Pressure transducer are not too expensive, but are less likely to be the problem.

Then it gets more expensive. So it is up to you how far to take this before calling it a day for the car. If it is pump and / or injectors, and has to be done by a garage, expect a bill well over £1000.