Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 Focus MTX-75 Gearbox Oil Concerns

Jaiimez

Hey so after a clutch change a few weeks ago and managing to lose half my gearbox oil out the driveshaft I finally got around today to draining what is left of it and refilling it, i'm still pretty new to all this and ordered the oil from Euro Car Parts (waiting for the thousand sighs, beginning to realise ECP are the PC World of cars) based on their recommendation, and they supplied me with Triple QX EP 75W-90 Fully Synthetic, but whilst I was googling the location of the drain plug I came across a few forum threads saying not to use EP oil, and as I looked into it more, read something about certain gearboxes use copper alloys in their construction and EP oils can cause reactions with the copper potentially damaging the gearbox, now I don't know much about this gearbox or if this is something that affects me hence why i've turned to the knowledge of the greater internets.

So what i'm asking is if this is the right oil, or whether it's not the "right" but it'll do the job alright, or if I need to as soon as possible change it because it'll cause damage over long term use, and if so am I alright with it in there for a week or so which is realistically the next chance i'll have to drain it and refill.

all I know on this is ford will not use ep oil in any gearbox...wether that's due to having a deal with a certain brand I don't know but if many forums say don't i wouldn't

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2016 at 4:13 PM, Jaiimez said:

Hey so after a clutch change a few weeks ago and managing to lose half my gearbox oil out the driveshaft I finally got around today to draining what is left of it and refilling it, i'm still pretty new to all this and ordered the oil from Euro Car Parts (waiting for the thousand sighs, beginning to realise ECP are the PC World of cars) based on their recommendation, and they supplied me with Triple QX EP 75W-90 Fully Synthetic, but whilst I was googling the location of the drain plug I came across a few forum threads saying not to use EP oil, and as I looked into it more, read something about certain gearboxes use copper alloys in their construction and EP oils can cause reactions with the copper potentially damaging the gearbox, now I don't know much about this gearbox or if this is something that affects me hence why i've turned to the knowledge of the greater internets.

So what i'm asking is if this is the right oil, or whether it's not the "right" but it'll do the job alright, or if I need to as soon as possible change it because it'll cause damage over long term use, and if so am I alright with it in there for a week or so which is realistically the next chance i'll have to drain it and refill.

Hi, I also want to change my gearbox oil soon and have done some research on this. I have a 2008 Ford Focus Style 1.8 tdci with a (MTX75 Gearbox) the research has lead me to Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS transmission fluid. You can buy it on amazon, but it's quite expensive. However all the reviews are very good for this product. But If I could suggest you check exactly what kind of gearbox is in your car. Good Luck!

The manual for my ford has a nice table showing the type of oil needed for pretty much everything. Should you guys not have the same? You plug in that reference and get the results?