Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7 power remaining on when key removed

Lewipoll

I've just bought a 2010 ford fiesta and I'm in love with it but there is an issue with the power which I'm hoping can be fixed. In previous cars I've owned removing the key from the ignition would stop power in the car, the radio was the only thing which remained on. In the fiesta I have just bought when I remove the key power is still flowing to the USB port, cigarette lighter and the headlights remain on. Its something I will learn to get used to but if there is any way to change this it would be far more convenient as I have to remove the dashcam from my cigarette lighter port every time I turn the car off in the fear that it will drain all the power. At first I presumed it just remained on for a minute or two and that wouldn't be a big issue but last time I tested it the power remained on 15 minutes after the key was removed from the ignition (it didn't turn off after 15 minutes that just as much as I was willing to test)

If anyone knows a way to turn this feature off or whether its an issue with my car I will be very thankful for any help

The owners manual for the Mk7.5 states the socket will remain active for 30 minutes. I assume the Mk 7 is similar. For that reason I've hardwired my camera into the fuse box with a piggyback fuse and added an auto on/off relay from eBay. It was a 20min job. Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

@ThaiFiesta

thank you that helps a lot, very good solution, do you think that 30 minutes at 14 volts will drain my cars battery or will i be okay to leave it in?

Is the power not disconnected when the door is opened?

• Like 1

It's only on for the cigarette lighter adaptor (and maybe the USB - never tried it). A normal device running 1-2.1 Amps shouldn't drain your battery, but it really depends on the "health" of your battery and the amount of Amps your camera or other device is drawing. 

• Like 1

pretty sure opening the door cuts the power. in my 7.5 the usb stops flashing after a short time

• Like 1

after testing today i've found the power turns off roughly 5 minutes after the key is removed and doors are opened, i was mistakenly thinking the power was still on as i was unlocking the doors as i was approaching the car which re-enabled the power. Thank you for the help everyone

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club