Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squealing Blower Fan (2004 1.6)

ScouserInExile

The blower fan on my 2004 1.6 is squealing quite badly. It did this a while ago, right before the resistor pack gave up. It seemed to go away when i replaced the resistor pack, but has come back in the last week or so. 

It's most noticeable on settings 1 & 2, but was incredibly load when I started it up this morning. It's reached the point where the stereo doesn't drown it out any more, so I need to do something about it.

is there an easy fix for this, or am I looking at a replacement motor? How easy is it to get the motors on and off (given that I'm a total no-thumbed gibbon at all things mechanical)?

10 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

How easy is it to get the motors on and off (given that I'm a total no-thumbed gibbon at all things mechanical)?

Hard!

Sorry about that.sad.png

It does seem, from your description, like a worn or dirty bearing in the motor. But Haynes says:

"This is a difficult procedure requiring patience & dexterity" unless you remove the entire fascia, which is quite a lengthy & fiddly job. And the fan is apparently very delicate!

Haynes is wrong about many things, these days huh.png, but having seen where it is, they are probably right here!

Ah. Damn. Could really live without having to pay someone to sort that right now.

Though, looking on youtube, it doesn't look THAT bad... might try removing the cabin filter first, to see if that's blocking it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

it doesn't look THAT bad... might try removing the cabin filter first,

If you can get the filter out, then you are probably about a quarter (or more) of the way to removing the fan.

I am not sure how accurate your self-description is :wacko:. But a real gibbon would probably find it quite easy. The ability to hang upside down from the seat back, and those long flexible arms, are just what is needed to work under the fascia.biggrin.png

A young, flexible back, that does not start to cramp up & complain after 5 minutes of working in an uncomfortable position, is probably more important than technical ability. Some thumbs might come in handy though!

The Haynes manual does have some useful photos of the locations of the screws & fixings to be removed. It may be more reliable than Youtube (just). But for an awkward job like that, you need all the info you can get.

All I can advise is to allow plenty of time. A looming deadline is a guarantee to break or wreck something. Take frequent breaks, stopping for a rest when tiredness or frustration :wallbash:starts to make things worse . That is what I tell myself to do, but then I ignore it, and it all goes pear-shaped.laugh.png

• Like 1

Is this a 2004 mk 1.5 if so I did it on my old car it's about 3 bolts and fidly but do able I took mine out and lubricated it up after I had burnt out 2 resistors put back in and all was good.

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/10/2016 at 4:12 PM, MrRedman said:

Is this a 2004 mk 1.5 if so I did it on my old car it's about 3 bolts and fidly but do able I took mine out and lubricated it up after I had burnt out 2 resistors put back in and all was good.

Well, the resistor I replaced about 6 months ago burnt out last night, so I might have to give it a go. I'm not replacing the resistor pack every six months...

• Like 1

I had a mk1 focus. resistor pack went twice (you don't need to buy a new resistor pack, you can buy a thermal fuse on eBay and solder it on the resistor pack).

the thermal fuse goes because of the motor getting stiff and drawing extra current and going slower which makes the resistors get too hot and thermal fuse burns out (which prevents the hot resistors from causing a fire). 

on mine both times it was because water was getting in bottom of fan motor and causing bearing to seize. It was relatively easy to remove fan (behind glove box)

Eventually found it was because water was going into the heater air intake under the bonnet as some idiot had drilled a hole in the plastic above it. Sealed hole and it was fine after that. I could not see why anyone would have made a hole there.

This assumes you have a Mk1. I have no idea what a mk2 is like in that respect

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club