Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A month on

Morgs

Hi all, have had my 2014 Focus ZS for about a month now and am really enjoying the drive it gives but unfortunately not enjoying the mpg it's kicking out.

Ive tried all sorts of driving styles, but to no avail. I'm averaging 34 mpg around town and too and fro from work. I was hoping to be in the high 30's at least. 

Have a couple of gripes I need to get out there and hopefully get some answers, so if you don't mind, here they are,

In second gear and on joining the dual carriageway I'm putting my boot down in second gear and at 4000 revs the power just goes until I quickly change into third and then she's fine. 

As i'm driving I hear what seems like a secondary noise from drivers front side, I'm thinking wheel bearing but it's not a whining noise. 

Any advice that I can act upon will be gratefully accepted

many thanks , 

Petrol/diesel? 4K rpm in any car sucks the juice or have I been derv driver for too long. 

I hear things all the time. I've learnt to decide if it's a rattle, grind, clang, clunk or just voices. Please give us a clue?

It's a 1.0 Ecoboost petrol, the best I can describe it is like having something in the tyre which there isn't as I've checked it, 've read there's a 'thrum' from the engine and I don't know if this is what I'm hearing, 

2 hours ago, Morgs said:

best I can describe it is like having something in the tyre

If the noise was engine related, it would drop as the revs drop when you change gear. If it was tyres, bearings or driveshafts, then it would keep rising in speed through the gears.

The spec. for the 1l Ecoboost is that max torque is available till at least 4000rpm, then torque will drop slowly until the max power point at 6000rpm, and then will drop more quickly. If the power and torque is falling off rapidly above 4000rpm, then there is a fault. It should be under warranty, so complain.

There are a couple of threads on this site about the mpg of this car. It varies a lot. Honest John says 33mpg to 49mpg.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/focus-2011/16t-ecoboost

Iantt gets 40 to 56 mpg from a 1l ecoboost mapped up to 140hp:

34 sounds right at the low end, even around town, especially if you are deliberately trying to drive economically. Using the brakes is (indirectly) when the most fuel is wasted. Allow the car to coast (in gear, throttle closed) as much as possible by anticipating hold-ups. If the mpg still stays low, then it is not meeting its spec. and needs looking into.

The garage, fairly certainly, will not believe you, so get as much evidence as you can.

5 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

If the noise was engine related, it would drop as the revs drop when you change gear. If it was tyres, bearings or driveshafts, then it would keep rising in speed through the gears.

The spec. for the 1l Ecoboost is that max torque is available till at least 4000rpm, then torque will drop slowly until the max power point at 6000rpm, and then will drop more quickly. If the power and torque is falling off rapidly above 4000rpm, then there is a fault. It should be under warranty, so complain.

There are a couple of threads on this site about the mpg of this car. It varies a lot. Honest John says 33mpg to 49mpg.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/focus-2011/16t-ecoboost

Iantt gets 40 to 56 mpg from a 1l ecoboost mapped up to 140hp:

34 sounds right at the low end, even around town, especially if you are deliberately trying to drive economically. Using the brakes is (indirectly) when the most fuel is wasted. Allow the car to coast (in gear, throttle closed) as much as possible by anticipating hold-ups. If the mpg still stays low, then it is not meeting its spec. and needs looking into.

The garage, fairly certainly, will not believe you, so get as much evidence as you can.

Many thanks for your in depth reply, many things to browse over and enquire about, my son had a look last night and reckons by back tyre is mishaped, could this be the cause of the noise, power drops off rapidly at 4000 revs so I think it's a call to the garage. Might also give it a thrash around to see if that helps mpg, 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Morgs said:

Many thanks for your in depth reply, many things to browse over and enquire about, my son had a look last night and reckons by back tyre is mishaped, could this be the cause of the noise, power drops off rapidly at 4000 revs so I think it's a call to the garage. Might also give it a thrash around to see if that helps mpg, 

First thing is first get the tyre checked. A thrash may clean out the engine but a misshapen tyre could blow out. Better safe than sorry. 

Have a look round your air intake. I wonder if it has sucked up some leaves some how.  You would get enough air in for lower engine speeds but at higher RPM power would drop as air demand increases. If you have access to an ELM device you might find some error codes. Though as it is in warranty don't try too hard, let the garage have a look at it. 

14 hours ago, goldtail77 said:

First thing is first get the tyre checked. A thrash may clean out the engine but a misshapen tyre could blow out. Better safe than sorry. 

Have a look round your air intake. I wonder if it has sucked up some leaves some how.  You would get enough air in for lower engine speeds but at higher RPM power would drop as air demand increases. If you have access to an ELM device you might find some error codes. Though as it is in warranty don't try too hard, let the garage have a look at it. 

Thanks for your reply.

It's got its 3 year service soon (37500), so clean air filter I'm hoping might fix the problem. Basically live underneath a tree as our street is lined with them so I shall check that out. Booked in for Sunday to check out the tyre and brake check as they seem to be grinding every time I brake more noticeable at lower speeds obviously. Also recently noticed a bit of vibration on the accelerator pedal on occasions, need to iron out all the problems before the warranty expires.

• Like 1

if it sounds like a wheelbearing it could just be deformed tyre tread, had this experience on a few cars, the noise inside make it sound like bearing or engine issues, but actually the tyre is at fault.

Change the wheel for the spare and go for a drive - see if that helps remove the noise.

• Like 1