Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual mass flywheel failure

Batrat

Hi there I have a 4 year old 1.6 tdci galaxy which has done just 49000 miles and the dual mass flywheel has gone ... thought it would be covered by warranty taken out last year but apparently ... it's in service wear so they not covering it ... at 49000 miles I don't think it's just in service wear ... anyone have any thoughts on this because these warranty people are annoying me 

No bought last April with 31000 on the clock but still I can't see in service use wearing it down in 49k but we bought the warranty just for piece of mind because I go away a bit and it's the wife's car but I'm getting very annoyed with the warranty people trying to weasel their way out ..even though three seperate mechanics have said it isn't anything we have done ... but warranty won't accept their opinions and want to send an "independent" mechanic out to confirm it... problem is how independent will this person be as the warranty people are paying for it ?? 

Oh and I bet they just expect people to back down ... well that's not going to happen 

I think it is a case of mechanical breakage/failure not fair wear and tear. I have used my Galaxy to tow heavy trailers through France and Spain so I was expecting the DMF to fail at some time, but it still did 90,000 mls before replacement.  I think you have a claim, good luck with it.

Cheers I will see what the independent mechanic says but I'm not backing down 

Please let me know how it goes, I am always interested in how insurance companies  try to get out of a genuine claim. 

Oh and as I was driving the car home I noticed that it seemed to be lacking in power and then noticed engine management light on ... but of course garage was then shut as I was the last person in the garage I couldn't get hold of the garage who did the repair . probably just a sensor not connected but as I don't have a code reader yet .. ( just ordered one ) . So looks like car will be going back in Monday to get that sorted :( not going well ... I'm sure the garage will sort it as it wasn't there before the dmf change . 

The warranty people did not call the garage back on Friday to arrange the independent inspectors visit . Luckily the garage is going to ring them back on Monday asking what's going on and why they didn't ring them back .

Any excuse to prelong the payment huh. The garage are only changing 672 for the flywheel replacement complete .. of course I'm paying extra for the clutch but that's on a seperate invoice so I don't confuse the warranty people . 

But yes I will let you know how it all goes 

Brilliant looks like they have done something to the turbo ... code p0045 is showing and no power :( 

Took it back to garage and after 3 hours they found the issue the had pulled a wire out of the boost control ... fixed that .. however as I was driving away noticed the outside air temp was reading -40 so looks like they knocked something else whilst repairing the pulled wire oh well they are looking at that now .. but of course this is costing me nothing as it was their fault 

I like this garage .. owning up to problems they cause 

Oh and the "independent"inspector is coming to look at the flywheel Thursday so we will see what he says !!

So the garage looked at the outside air temperature and checked it with a fluke and heat gun seemed to be giving correct readings but showed -80 c in the car ... so they ordered me a new sensor and were going to fit it Wednesday for me just charging for parts . However as I was driving home I noticed the temperature raising so I drove around for a while and it rose from -80 to +11 and fluctuated between 11 and 10 as I got home so got out checked my other. Car and that read +10c so that's fixed ... no idea how but it did so woohoo !!

thats quite normal, focus mk2/2.5 does the same if battery disconnected for a while on some vehicles. can take a few hours to bring up to the correct reading 

It took about 30 minutes ... but the garage had no idea about it 

Well that's the "independent" inspector been to examine both the flywheel and the car ... wouldn't give me a straight answer !! Only said report will be going into warranty people today ... yeah okay well I'll call them tommorrow and see what happens ... they will not win 

I don't mean to sound like I'm getting at you here but this is how I see the situation.

your car is 4 years old so Is now a year or so out of manufacturers warranty. You've picked up an additional warranty that does not cover the flywheel. So realistically regardless of fair wear and tear or mechanical failure they have said they won't cover the flywheel, so you won't get a payout from them. 

Even if they did cover the flywheel on the warranty, they will use the fact that the car has nearly 50k miles on the clock to mean that any manufacturing defects would have surfaced before this time. 

DMFs are never covered under warranties as far as I know, they're so easy to break by labouring the engine everywhere as people often do with diesels...if the previous owner was driving everywhere 30 in 5th (especially up hill) that would ruin the DMF in 50k! 

However that said, anyone know if the DMF in  the Galaxy is different to the Focus?  I've read a few times that the 1.6TDCi DMF very rarely fails due to the way it's made.  I'm still adamant mines got a shudder/rattle when cold though. :unsure: