Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can you recommend some brands and places to buy for a rear wheel bearing and brake shoe change ?

The Joshua Tree

I'm going to be changing the rear brake shoes, brake hub and cylinder, also the rear wheel bearings on my Focus 1.8 petrol Titanium on a 2008 plate.

Can you recommend some brands to buy and some brands to avoid and somewhere with decent prices to buy from, some links would be great if poss.

Would these be ok for the rear cylinder ?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartsCategoryDisplay?vrnAction=selectVRN&storeId=10001&categoryId=297017&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&componentId=&vrn=DE08+TPO&findPartsVRN=Go

and these for the shoes

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_1051127_langId_-1_categoryId_256257_epId_102590628

I generally stick to well known brands such as SKF, F A G - both are OE manufacturers. (swear word filter doesn't like F A G lol)

• Like 1

I did this job on my Focus a year ago. I have looked out the receipt to check.

I purchased from Car Spares Distribution Ltd.

Rear wheel bearing  £ 50 each. Set of brake shoes for both sides £30. One rear brake slave cylinder assy. £25.

All parts fitted OK and are still working well after 22,000 miles.

ScaniaPBman.

PS. I have no connection with this company except being a satisfied customer.

having had a cheaper bearing fitted to my old focus dont get the cheap ones get a ford bearing the cheap one went in only a few months the genuine ford lasted yes its dearer but it saves doing a job twice i would also order rear hub bolts as i discovered they are stretch bolts

• Like 1

The OEM Focus MK2/MK2.5 rear wheel hubs are manufactured by SKF. Every SKF dealer can supply these wheel hubs a lot cheaper than a Ford dealer.

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:41 AM, The Joshua Tree said:

I'm going to be changing the rear brake shoes, brake hub and cylinder, also the rear wheel bearings on my Focus 1.8 petrol Titanium on a 2008 plate.

Can you recommend some brands to buy and some brands to avoid and somewhere with decent prices to buy from, some links would be great if poss.

Would these be ok for the rear cylinder ?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartsCategoryDisplay?vrnAction=selectVRN&storeId=10001&categoryId=297017&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&componentId=&vrn=DE08+TPO&findPartsVRN=Go

and these for the shoes

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_1051127_langId_-1_categoryId_256257_epId_102590628

the parts that are in the Halfords links are supplied by euro car parts, so just go onto the euro car parts site and see how much more money you can save by getting the gear from them and there doing a 30% off code aswell at the mo ;-)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, andypsp said:

the parts that are in the Halfords links are supplied by euro car parts, so just go onto the euro car parts site and see how much more money you can save by getting the gear from them and there doing a 30% off code aswell at the mo ;-)

I did that when the links were posted in another thread.. it was actually cheaper to get them through Halfords! bear in mind, ECP do hike the prices up to give you a so called 30% discount. I bought a clutch kit the other week as well as numerous other things and all are now way over priced compared to what I paid. 

21 minutes ago, stef123 said:

I did that when the links were posted in another thread.. it was actually cheaper to get them through halfords! bear in mind, ECP do hike the prices up to give you a so called 30% discount. I bought a clutch kit the other week as well as numerous other things and all are now way over priced compared to what I paid. 

yep ecp parts prices are up and down like a yo-yo lol, they also trade under the name of car-parts-4-less on eBay and there even cheaper than what ecp site is

• Like 1

Yeh i just checked 2 items that Halfords have against the price of the same item on euro car parts, the pagid wheel cylinder is £20.03 on the Halfords site, the same one on euro car parts is £28.49  ... The Pagid brake shoes on Halfords are £25.04, the same shoes on euro car parts are £40.49

Are the Pagid shoes and wheel cylinder ok as brands to use ?

I'll be looking for rear SKF wheel bearings if i can find some at a reasonable price, i'm looking for a decent make brake drum as well but i'm not having much joy as euro car parts or halfords don't have them.

I've fitted hundreds of pagid brake discs and pads, a few sets of shoes and a few wheel cylinders without any trouble so you will be fine. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, The Joshua Tree said:

Never heard of Borg & Beck, probably another brand who buy from multiple manufacturers so most likely a game of roulette as to what you will receive. 

Never used Mintex in a while but their stuff was usually pretty good. 

never heard of borg and beck?? that brand been around longer than I have, but the brand name was bought by firstline, firstline are ok

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, iantt said:

never heard of borg and beck?? that brand been around longer than I have, but the brand name was bought by firstline, firstline are ok

Can't say I have Ian, less likely that I have ever bought any of their stuff. 

Ian TT

Would Borg & Beck drums be worth chancing, they do seem cheap though, I've now found them on amazon for around £18 each. Just seems a bit cheap.

Borg and beck used to be known for their quality especially clutch kits, as Iantt has said they've been bought out now so not sure of their quality,

• 3 months later...

Hi, I am also looking at replacing a rear wheel bearing, Focus Mk2.5 59 plate. Seems to be a big price difference between manufacturers. From £30 (Ebay) up to £157 Parts Direct First Line. Ford ones are £103. I see in this post that SKF are the OEM supplier so would prefer to stick with them. I have looked for a supplier in the Devon area but can't pin one down to being able to supply SKF. I keep being offered all sorts of other brands. Lucas and Orbis being the 2 most offered plus First Line apart from unnamed which I do not want.

So my question is does anyone know of a SKF supplier in Devon / Somerset or who does mail order as I would suspect these could be cheaper than from Ford.

Thanks

On 23/10/2016 at 1:42 PM, andypsp said:

im getting my shoes and drums from euro car parts

21 hours ago, Cragrat said:

Hi, I am also looking at replacing a rear wheel bearing, Focus Mk2.5 59 plate. Seems to be a big price difference between manufacturers. From £30 (Ebay) up to £157 Parts Direct First Line. Ford ones are £103. I see in this post that SKF are the OEM supplier so would prefer to stick with them. I have looked for a supplier in the Devon area but can't pin one down to being able to supply SKF. I keep being offered all sorts of other brands. Lucas and Orbis being the 2 most offered plus First Line apart from unnamed which I do not want.

So my question is does anyone know of a SKF supplier in Devon / Somerset or who does mail order as I would suspect these could be cheaper than from Ford.

Thanks

I tend to stick the with big brands such as SKF, F A G, but i have been using alot of Moog for bearings, track rod ends and ball joints - so far no issues with them. My local factors deal mostly with Moog so easy to come by. 

If you are looking for SKF branded stuff, I'd phone round a few local factors and see if they stock or can get hold of them. 

• Like 1

OK thanks. I will keep ringing round the area but widen my search to include ***** and Moog. There is a SKF stockist in Exeter but they only seem to deal with actual bearings not the hub assy.