Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible fuel problem with Focus titanium ecoboost 1.0 125

Hummingbird83

Hi all.

This is my first post as I'm at the end of my tether with this car. I have a lease car, which is 2015 Ford Focus Titanium ecoboost 1.0 125. I have had this car since December 2015 and Shorty will be coming up to 1 year.

I use the car for work, which is a combination of city/motorway miles and I'm approaching 9800 miles for the year. The MPG is 36.0. I think this is low and think there could be a problem.

When I fill up I notice the miles on the digital count do not match the miles on journey count. I've noticed that I'm putting in increasing amounts of fueleach week, however when I first got the car I didn't have any issues.  I am a sensible driver and do not go over 70 mph on a motorway either.

I can drive a 5 mile journey and it will say I've used 12 miles ? Surely this is not right. I've had it looked at by a Ford garage and they've said it was fine and it's just the way the car is. It'll be going in for a service in November also.

Has anyone else had similar problems with this model ? My next car will not be a Ford and I've been a Ford owner since I passed, which is a shame.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yep, mine does all what you mention, sounds about right to me..the only thing is I get 39mpg around town but I do have a Spider box fitted and drive in ECO mode

I have a Focus Zetec S 2014 1.0 125 which I have had now for over a year and in all that time I cant remember it dropping lower than 44mpg. Last week I drove from Derby to Suffolk and back and averaged 53mpg.

Had a Titanium X 1.0 125, for about a year. Just had service.

Tend to just drive locally, work, shops etc.

Usually shows 36+ mpg, improves on any long run.

Showing 37 at the moment after a few longer motorway trips.

Not sure if that's right or wrong?

Suppose it may depend on driving style and road conditions?

What is this high MPG you speak of? My significant other has a 1l ecoboost @165 hp. Fully decked Fiesta and I do not recall having less than 7,7l to 100. I think that is a bit over 36 MPG. The consumption has stayed the same eventhough the car is tuned now.

Looking at a 5 mile journey and seeing that you wasted 12 mile worth of fuel is not the most reliable thing. For example, once I get past 3500 in the 1l it will suck the tank at a higher rate. Even if I stayed there for a few seconds.

Try finding routes where you get to coast a bit. For example I have some sections on my way home to work where I don't touch the accelerator because downhill I have the speed limit. Consumption is ZERO when this happens and it evens out with the fact that once you push the pedal bye bye fuel economy :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best fuel consumption I can remember, was in my old mk1 1.6 Focus. Went from Blackpool to Leicester one Friday to a wedding. Traffic was so horrendous, don't think we got over 50 on the M6, crossed to the M1 via A50?, which was clear, most of the way.

When we arrived tank was only a quarter down. Not sure what mpg was but I have used that amount going to Manchester and back, obviously going a bit quicker. Shows that traveling slower saves fuel.

Thanks for your replies, they're very helpful. I filled up half tank yesterday and it read 206 on the digital count. I've driven 19.7 miles since filling up and the count reads 173 from today. I've noticed that for every 0.6 miles I drive, the count goes down by 1 mile. Also, my Dad is a mechanic and we've done the economy test time and again, which shows economic driving. I try not to look at the digital count and go off the fuel gauge, however they appear to be marrying up.

So despite the digital count saying I had 206 miles from £30 I got just over 170 miles (172) before filling up again. I done the eco test for each day for work and averaged 33 MPG. I've already filled up £10, which is £40 for this week already. I've driven 3 miles and the digital count continues to go down every 0.6 mile I drive. The petrol gauge mirrors this problem. 

Is all this variation all to do with the shape of the petrol tank, and the digital gauge just adjusts its self as the tank has all kinds of bends, hollows and twists to fit under the car? I do notice the first half of the tank drinks it more than the second half, so I would say there's some kind of a slope on the top part of the tank somewhere.. And my digital gauge will adjust like your does, its says I've done 13miles when I know I've only done 10miles..I drive to work which is exactly 4 miles, sometimes it says I've done 4 miles, sometimes it says 7 miles. The only time I do get the right constant reading is when the yellow low fuel comes on 4 miles there and 4 miles back.

What you have to remember is that the advertised figures are not based on real MPG figures, at least within the EU they are governed by specific EU tests which are pretty far removed from normal everyday driving. It would be impossible for even the most economic drivers in the best case scenario's to match manufacturer provided MPG figures because of the way tests are performed - hence why manufacturers say "up to X miles to the gallon" when advertising their products.

Wikipedia link to EU Driving cycle

As for the display, that is an estimate based on various factors including your past & current driving style, current draw on the engines power from extras such as air conditioning & even lights. There are many more factors can affect the accuracy of the miles remaining but in short you should always simply take it as what it is, an estimate.

• Like 1

only accurate way to tell consuption is to do fill to fill calculation. if i drive very gently for 20 miles before filling up it then it shows when full 580miles left, but drive hard before fill up then it shows about 430. so you see it depends on your fuel ecconmy prior to refueling . then depending on how you drive / or town/ motorway driving will determine the rate of decline .

as for fuel economy figures , again it depends on driving style/traffic etc. etc. i can get up to 63mpg on a tank full according to the mpg reading on country roads etc. that acuratly equates to about 60mpg via filling up and calculating fuel used against miles covered.

in town driving it falls considerably to 41mpg shown on display and fill up calc is 37mpg.

• Like 1

I've had my Focus for around a year (64 plate 1.0 125 Titanium) and and my trip to work is around 1.2 miles each way - The computer displayed 28 - 30 MPG but it would decrease the miles in the range by 4 miles which is probably due to the Start/Stop traffic.

When I worked up in Oxford I had to travel around 60 - 70 miles each way - The computer displayed between 49 - 55 MPG and it would decrease the miles in the range accurately or sometimes it would look as if I were doing 60 MPG.

I don't think I've ever had an issue but I did notice that if the MPG number decreases, if you had 350 miles in the range it could drop to e.g. 330 so there must be some funky algorithm.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club