Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Releasing seized Break Caliper Bolts

Jaiimez

Hey so i've gone to replace the rear break pads and discs on my Mk 1 Focus this morning, but the bolts that hold the caliper to the subframe are totally seized, i've left them to soak in WD40 for a good few hours, then tried again, but still nothing, and to make it worse, I am pretty sure I have managed to shred the top of one of the bolts that a socket doesn't fit on it anymore.

I googled a bit the best way to remove bolts but everything I find assumes you have pretty much unlimited space around the bolt to work in, none of the advice I could find would be practical within the confined space of the wheel arch and suspension.

I'm going to soak it in WD40 again in the morning then take the car for a drive to let the calipers heat up hoping the expansion will help the WD40 penetrate, and then try to remove them again whilst the brakes are still warm, but other than that I can't think of much else, because the only really feasible thing I can think of is to cut a groove in the bolt but I have no way of getting a screw driver in there, and same for drilling it out, won't get a drill in the space.

Wd40 is useless tbh, get some plus gas on there.

And a longer lever, 3ft bar or something.

And a set of Irwin extractors for the rounded bolt.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Wd40 is useless tbh, get some plus gas on there.

And a longer lever, 3ft bar or something.

And a set of Irwin extractors for the rounded bolt.

+1 Tom spot on there with that advise. Only problem is getting hold of Plus gas. So get looking on line. Quick look says eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/152159952785?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=41088503464&rlsatarget=pla-259290726182&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9041122&device=c&campaignid=672297739&crdt=0

Edited by Joss max
new link added

Mhm i'll have to order some, i'm unfortunately working with half a set of tools that belong to my mums boyfriend, so don't always have everything I need, i'll order some of those extractors regardless tho because this isn't the first time i've had issues removing bolts, just usually I have the space to get an angle grinder or something in there to get it out.

5 minutes ago, Jaiimez said:

Mhm i'll have to order some, i'm unfortunately working with half a set of tools that belong to my mums boyfriend, so don't always have everything I need, i'll order some of those extractors regardless tho because this isn't the first time i've had issues removing bolts, just usually I have the space to get an angle grinder or something in there to get it out.

Here you go one set of Irwin extractors http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irwin-Bolt-Grip-Stud-Extractors-Base-Set-TE082-/141273760968?hash=item20e49284c8:g:A3sAAOSw37tV~alu

Plumbers gas torch and heat it up as hot as you can and they undo a heck of a lot easier. I have a gas torch in my arsenal of tools now always on hand for those stubborn bolts and nuts. And as said a breaker bar or a scarf pole that fits over your ratchet handle gives much more leverage as well.

Heat very rarely fails to get the job done, just be careful of burning anything whilst using heat. 

I still don't own an extractor set or any of the multitude of sockets that claim to remove rounded bolts and always get them undone. The other way of avoiding them in the first place is to use 6 sided sockets rather than 12 sided.

Had this with mine , hammered a smaller socket on them after using heat did the trick. put the same bolts back in. I got replacement ones from a scrappy. Have not got round to replacing them, thought that the pads and discs would last a good few years, hmm i was wrong , the pads have started to score the new discs already. Been on 2 months , 3 discs are scored and a rear caliper (looks new ) is holding on to the disc. No idea why, ive tried freeing up h/b cable ,and now i get brake squeal when i brake. Mintex discs allround and some pads cant remember name from local motor factors, cheaper than eBay i must admit tho