Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine malfunction light

Leanne Winstanley

Anyone help me 

Got a Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 58 plate

engine malfunction alarm came on today gone to self diagnostic got to a bit that says 

NVM EEPROM LVL 0001 FAIL

Any one have an idea what it means and is it going to be a garage job or is there a way to reset it or is it just simply that my car needs a service or possibly a new battery 

last time it flashed up with engine malfunction was when I bought it in June this year took it back dealers who said it needed pig pee in it (something to do with the fluid in the cat converter) 

Anyone had same problem I would be very greatful for any advise 

cheers 

On 27/10/2016 at 3:26 PM, Leanne Winstanley said:

NVM EEPROM LVL 0001 FAIL

Any one have an idea what it means and is it going to be a garage job or is there a way to reset it or is it just simply that my car needs a service or possibly a new battery 

Low voltage, often while starting the engine, is a likely cause of that error, especially if there are no other symptoms while driving. I would test the battery, it can be done quite easily with a multimeter, or a trustable garage can do it. I say trustable, because it would be easy for them to just say it is old & dodgy & needs replacing regardless of actual condition!

Or it could be the battery is getting low on charge due to a charging fault. Charging the battery may test this, and a mutimeter can also easily test this by looking for over 14.2 volts on the terminals with the engine running & headlights on.

Talking about trustable, I am not very impressed with the garage's "pig pee" comment. Pig pee is an inaccurate term for AdBlue, a urea based additive. As far as I know, 2008 Foci do not use this, they use Eolys, a cerium oxide based additive. Completely different. And it is for the DPF, (or catalytic DPF if fitted), not catalytic convertor. If they used the wrong stuff, that would be bad, but I think you would have known about it by now. The DPF would be causing error lights to appear.