Do Not Sell My Personal Information

watercooled intercooler

beethoven

Thinking about installation of a watercooled I.C. on my 2.0 tdci diesel..
What do you guys think?
As we all know, a watercooled I.C. is much more efficient than an air-cooled one.
It takes a lot of custom-work, but it is conceivable...
My hunger for power & torque has no limit Devil

13 hours ago, beethoven said:

a watercooled I.C. is much more efficient than a air-cooled one.

Hmmm, I think "efficient" is the wrong term!

Any water cooled system still has to be air cooled by a radiator.

If it uses the engine coolant & radiator, then this is at least 80C when operating. So the IC would not cool below 80C. A separate coolant system & radiator adds weight & needs mounting in a good airflow.

On my car, the air comes out of the turbo at somewhere over 100C on full boost (112C is the isentropic output temperature for a 2.4Bar abs boost pressure, or 20PSI of boost, with 27C air in). The air-cooled IC cools it to typically 40C to 50C during reasonably extended periods of boost, but it normally runs at about 30C coming out of the IC.

Where a water cooled IC does score, is in reduced lag, due to a lot less intake pipework, and a smaller IC. And for short bursts, like drag racing, where the thermal mass of the coolant absorbs the heat.

In racing & rallying, if lag is the key to winning, then I guess a water cooled IC is the way. But for absolute max power for any time, air-cooled is best. And for fuel efficiency, the IC should not be too big, or it should be masked in cold weather. Diesel needs to be injected into hot air to burn quickly and fully.

So it all depends on just what you want from the car.

That is true, diesel needs hot air to burn. But,I feel that when I drive through a puddle of water,
  the cooler is "cooled" by the water
the engine responds immediately by  being 'pungent'.

You get a boost, in a way of speaking

Hot air alone is not enough, you  also need plenty of oxygen and that you can have by significantly cooling the intake air

What I want is plenty of torque in the lower rpm's

5 hours ago, beethoven said:

But,I feel that when I drive through a puddle of water,
  the cooler is "cooled" by the water

It must be that your cooler is running pretty warm. Frequent acceleration & hill climbing, using the turbo at low to moderate road speed will tend to do this.

I would try to either increase the size of the existing air cooled I.C., or try to introduce forced air cooling. Even having the a/c on may help, as the fan will run on low speed then.

The trouble with a water cooled I.C. is that it does not solve the problem, just moves it. You've still got to get rid of the heat somehow. I hear that in drag racing they "cheat" by pre-cooling the water with ice. No use for a longer drive!

Ford cooling fans are usually speed controlled by a pwm signal from the pcm. There may not be any feedback from the fan unit, so it may be possible to use a switch or relay to take over control of the fan speed, and zap it up to high speed when you want the extra torque. But it would require a bit of careful investigation.

Some Mondeos do have a radiator grille blind, I believe. Check yours either does not, or that it is opening properly.

2 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Some Mondeos do have a radiator grille blind, I believe. Check yours either does not, or that it is opening properly.

Well, that's the case with my mondeo. Some day, I'll gonna get rid of it....replace it with the black grille

Well, that's the case with my mondeo. Some day, I'll gonna get rid of it....replace it with the black grille

Idiot question, as I'm not an engine buff. How do I know if I have an active grille? I own a late 2015 mondeo 1.5 160ps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, the dealer told me....I have a chrome grille, so....

But I do not know how to recognize it......

You want to know if you have got active grill shutters? 2 person job to find out, one switches ignition on while other looks through grille opening. The shutters cycles open and closed once.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club