Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 rear speakers dead!

mikeb185

Hi All,

I have just installed a new pioneer DVD head unit and noticed that both the rear Speakers do not work.

I ordered a trim removal tool and used a multi meter to test the plug on each speaker, Not getting any voltage on either....

Before its asked i have checked the fade option on the head unit lol!

I previously had a Sony single din unit installed but to be honest i didn't notice if they were working or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chances are they were not working.

On my Mk2 I knew I was going to replace the Speakers so didn't test them, but it turned out between all 6 Speakers 2 tweeters and one woofer worked. 

I would replace them all round, even if you go for cheap Pioneers.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

Surely this is a problem with the wiring as im getting no reading on the multi meter??

25 minutes ago, Jon84 said:

Chances are they were not working.

On my Mk2 I knew I was going to replace the speakers so didn't test them, but it turned out between all 6 speakers 2 tweeters and one woofer worked. 

I would replace them all round, even if you go for cheap Pioneers.

What would you suggest? im in the process of replacing both mine (Mk3) and the Wife (Mk2.5) but with the standard CD6000 amp, I cant seem to find any that don't require much juice to work properly...

you need to establish if there is output from the audio unit. I would get an old car speaker with some wires on (do you have one laying around in your shed or so something) and push the bare wires down into the plug behind the audio unit (in the holes for the correct wires of course) and see if you can get some sound there. You don't want to go pulling trim off here there and everywhere to access all of the wiring if you have not proved beyond doubt that sound is being output from the audio unit on the rear speaker ouput

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, isetta said:

you need to establish if there is output from the audio unit. I would get an old car speaker with some wires on (do you have one laying around in your shed or so something) and push the bare wires down into the plug behind the audio unit (in the holes for the correct wires of course) and see if you can get some sound there. You don't want to go pulling trim off here there and everywhere to access all of the wiring if you have not proved beyond doubt that sound is being output from the audio unit on the rear speaker ouput

I have an espace that im breaking for spares, ill see if i can get one out of that for test....

1 hour ago, Tomson said:

What would you suggest? im in the process of replacing both mine (Mk3) and the Wife (Mk2.5) but with the standard CD6000 amp, I cant seem to find any that don't require much juice to work properly...

I used 4 of these (http://caraudiosecurity.com/ts-g1731i-17cm-dual-cone-speakers-230w) That were being sold by the Argos eBay store for half price at the time. I also kept the standard tweeters wired in to keep the sound stage up a bit.

You would need to check the wiring plugs of the new stereo and your old existing harness, it may be that certain pins are in different places hence they work with the old one but not the new one. Moving pins in connectors can be done if you know how to remove them without damaging them and placed in the correct holes.

Unless of course the Speakers did not work before.

6 minutes ago, simcor said:

You would need to check the wiring plugs of the new stereo and your old existing harness, it may be that certain pins are in different places hence they work with the old one but not the new one. Moving pins in connectors can be done if you know how to remove them without damaging them and placed in the correct holes.

Unless of course the speakers did not work before.

Exactly this, get that Multimeter checking at all points along the harness.

Needlenose pliers are your friend to move the pins around 

It has been fitted with one of these so in theory should be correct....... in theory :)

ct20fd05_1.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikeb185 said:

It has been fitted with one of these so in theory should be correct....... in theory :)

ct20fd05_1.jpg

In theory it should be as you only have exactly the right amount of pins!

I'd just get the doorcard off and give it a go!

In theory yes, in practise well not always the case, on the main connector not the two single ISO connectors do all the pins match up in the right places?

• Like 1

it is very unlikely but just possible that the terminals are not crimped on the wires properly on this converter harness , but it would be a bit of a coincidence if both rear speaker wires were badly crimped and all other wires ok

Im going to have a quick look on my lunch break today, If the speaker wire polarity was reversed would this cause the Speakers not to work?

RESULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pulled the connector off the speaker and put the wires from the espace speaker in and..... we have sound!

Strange how both the rear Speakers have blown, But at least its an easy fix. 

Thanks all for your help :)

Hi mate I put some similar ones in my rear doors I cut out the middles of the ford Speakers and used the case to screw into a little tighter putting the door card back over but a nice tight fit,easy to do with a small hacksaw blade 👍

38 minutes ago, MrRedman said:

Hi mate I put some similar ones in my rear doors I cut out the middles of the ford speakers and used the case to screw into a little tighter putting the door card back over but a nice tight fit,easy to do with a small hacksaw blade 👍

Sounds like a good idea! Ordered the spacers now but theirs always the next car lol

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club