Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch problem

mlocky657

Hi ive got a 53 plate 1.4 zetec petrol coming home on the motorway the clutch was bitting right at the bottom but the pedel springs back like normal but then all of a sudden i went to change gear but the pedal just went to the floor and returned and i could not select a gear. Ive checked the pedel and the plastic bit which connexts to the pedel is still on amd the clip is there so its not that. And this morning the cluctch again was right at the bottom and i could select a gear however there still seems to be no preasure in the pedel. Please could someone advise or help me on any way on thongs to check please.

hydraulic leak? have a look up around top of pedal, where the rod goes into the clutch master cylinder does it look like fluid leaking there (a friend had one where fluid was dripping from there onto floor mat).  if I remember correctly, the clutch takes its fluid from brake master cylinder reservoir  (the brake cylinder takes supply from further down the reservoir so clutch leak does not cause brake failure). check level and top up, pump the clutch pedal. you might be lucky and the clutch pedal gets its pressure back. Might need bleeding though.

if there is a leak at the other end (clutch slave cylinder)- I think it is the type that is inside the clutch bell housing - then its major work.

of course, it might be a leak on the brake system that has caused the fluid level to drop below the clutch fluid outlet on the reservoir.

I think having brake and clutch sharing a fluid reservoir is a bad idea by Ford (saves them money of course).

at least clutch master cylinders are cheap, if that's what it needs

I have not found a leak and the break fluid does not go down when pumping pedal and pressure does not come back but clutch bite is right at bottom still. Thank you for your help

well,if it was mine i would try bleeding the clutch fluid but it does not really explain how it got like that. might help, might not, at least the cost of bleeding the clutch is not great

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club