Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tiny USB stick for Fiesta

sussex

Hi, I am thinking of buying a USB stick for Fiesta but would like the smallest/tiniest one possible ideally so it doesnt get in the way/looks descreat really.

What do you all use in your USB drives in the Fiesta? Anyone any suggestions for tiny USB sticks?

Hi, I am thinking of buying a USB stick for Fiesta but would like the smallest/tiniest one possible ideally so it doesnt get in the way/looks descreat really.

What do you all use in your USB drives in the Fiesta? Anyone any suggestions for tiny USB sticks?

Doubt you'll get smaller than one of these.

If you need more storage than that, I've got a 16GB one of these: Amazon (I can't find the 16GB version there anymore... that's the 8GB)

The bit that sticks out is about the size of my thumbnail, and it's about 2mm thick. Should be nice and discreet.

I say should be, because I haven't got a car to test it in yet!

Like this?

dsc02131aj.jpg

Its sooo small I can just leave it in the car all the time. - it only sticks out of the socket about 6mm.

Was about £15 inc P&P off eBay (4GB) but they do larger capacity ones.

There is a small red light on it which stays on whilst the car is unlocked, but it matches witht he colour of the dials (etc) so it doesnt bother me.

Can you tell me the brand/name/link to ebay please for that tiyn USB coysht?

I got mine from here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-Speed-Nano-4GB-...=item3efa01063e

Its made buy some random company called EagleTec (and the model name is something like Nano Flash Drive) - there are a few sellers on eBay based in Hong Kong doing 8GB - 64GB ones, or a few in the UK doing the 4GB (including the seller above).

Do these work as well as an iPod then as I keep thinking of gettone one of these so I don't have to keep taking the iPod out of the car?

Do these work as well as an iPod then as I keep thinking of gettone one of these so I don't have to keep taking the iPod out of the car?

Wouldn't know about how an Ipod works with the car (don't have one) but I've been pretty impressed with how well the USB sticks work - the music boots up almost instantaniously and as long as you have a decent folder setup and/or playlists, you can navigate through it quite easily.

Wouldn't know about how an Ipod works with the car (don't have one) but I've been pretty impressed with how well the USB sticks work - the music boots up almost instantaniously and as long as you have a decent folder setup and/or playlists, you can navigate through it quite easily.

To be honest I am not that impressed with the way you select tracks - it needs ot be more like the iPod wheel where you can whizz through them rather than having to go up and down the listing, one artist/track at a time

I got the 8gb from here: http://shop.brando.com/eagletec-usb-nano-f...8c1056d007.html

the ipod in that fiesta is sh*t, absolute rubbish, the cable you have to buy doesnt work properly and always falls out the audio jack and the design off the cable makes it not sit properly in the cup holders, personally i use a USB harddrive and have run the cable discreetly using a right angle usb cable out of the socket, i currently have a 500GB hard drive in my car using USB, control it all using steering wheel contorls, if you dont know if you use M button it changes the folder :) on mine... same as the scan function does too...

why would you need an ipod when the usb hard drive doesnt need Itunes, so easy with just drag and drop....

the ipod in that fiesta is sh*t, absolute rubbish, the cable you have to buy doesnt work properly and always falls out the audio jack and the design off the cable makes it not sit properly in the cup holders, personally i use a USB harddrive and have run the cable discreetly using a right angle usb cable out of the socket, i currently have a 500GB hard drive in my car using USB, control it all using steering wheel contorls, if you dont know if you use M button it changes the folder :) on mine... same as the scan function does too...

why would you need an ipod when the usb hard drive doesnt need Itunes, so easy with just drag and drop....

If half my music wasn't AAC with iTunes DRM protection on then I'd give this a go... :(

Hello,

I just thought i'd let you know how i did this.

I bought a 500GB portable USB hard drive from PCWorld for £60.

The USB socket simply pops off the car with a little prise with a screwdriver.

There are 3 wires going to the back of the USB socket.

I bought a USB extension cable from Poundland for £1.

Cut the end off and bared the 3 wires and joined them to the back of the socket.

Then simply fed the wire under the trim and under the drivers seat where the HDD drive is velcroed in place.

Now have 500GB of songspace as opposed to 4/8/16/32GB etc.

The socket is now empty so the job is totally invisible, but the socket can still be used if needed.

The drive can be unpluged and taken indoors to add/delete songs as needed.

Total cost £61 - Took less than an hour to fit. It all works flawlessly.

plunder.

Hello,

I just thought i'd let you know how i did this.

I bought a 500GB portable USB hard drive from PCWorld for £60.

The USB socket simply pops off the car with a little prise with a screwdriver.

There are 3 wires going to the back of the USB socket.

I bought a USB extension cable from Poundland for £1.

Cut the end off and bared the 3 wires and joined them to the back of the socket.

Then simply fed the wire under the trim and under the drivers seat where the HDD drive is velcroed in place.

Now have 500GB of songspace as opposed to 4/8/16/32GB etc.

The socket is now empty so the job is totally invisible, but the socket can still be used if needed.

The drive can be unpluged and taken indoors to add/delete songs as needed.

Total cost £61 - Took less than an hour to fit. It all works flawlessly.

plunder.

exactly the same as i did other than a little differnce, mine is mounted in the little pull down box next to the steering wheel on the door side below the light switch :), really recommend it, also any file which is not MP3 convert it to Mp3 using most programs for free... if your going to do it, buy a decent portable hard drive as other the enclosures break easily through vibration...

Interesting that the USB socket still works after you've wired the extension cable into it B)

Might confuse the car somewhat if you plug something in that also has a folder of mp3s on it!

the ipod in that fiesta is sh*t, absolute rubbish, the cable you have to buy doesnt work properly and always falls out the audio jack and the design off the cable makes it not sit properly in the cup holders . .

Well Ia m using an Aux cable and then standard iPod-USB connector that is provided when you buy your iPod and the combination of the two works fine. The only downside is that the iPod cable is white so it does stand out which is why I am thinking about getting everything onto a USB stick

Like this?

dsc02131aj.jpg

Its sooo small I can just leave it in the car all the time. - it only sticks out of the socket about 6mm.

There is a small red light on it which stays on whilst the car is unlocked, but it matches witht he colour of the dials (etc) so it doesnt bother me.

Excellent find

Damn I just bought a USB stick 8gb for £20 :o today and have saved my songs but I would really like that small discreet one. Its just so cool and doesnt stick out like my grey USB....

Do love the tiny USB stick, thats brill.

But check this out if you wana go mental...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1TB-Iomega-Select-Ex...7#ht_2067wt_732

1TB, thats a 1000 GB, compact and light...cant beat that, MP3 format, 250000 songs!

:lol:

Hi InstructorPiggy,

The problem with a 3.5" external drive like this is it requires a 240V mains power adaptor.

Therefore not very useful in a car without an inverter of some type. Which is inefficient

and would add to the cost considerably.

With a 2.5" "portable" type external drive it takes its power directly from the USB port.

This is the reason you pay a premium for the smaller portable type drives.

plunder.

Like this?

dsc02131aj.jpg

Bought 1 of these! thanks :-)

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

Interesting thread.

I've just got a Fiesta and am using a USB stick for music, but has anyone found when you leave the stick in and you come back to the car after a few hours the sound system starts from where the USB stick left off then swiatches automatically to the radio?

Its very annoying, I cant see why they would have added this function in? seems stupid, not sure if I have a setting activated I dont know about.