Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre choice

Yowsah

Anyone got any recommendations for tyres for my 2015 diesel estate. It came fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 tyres which I don't particularly like.

What is it you don't like about them? I have Mitchelin CrossClimate on mine and I'm pretty pleased with them so far. Only done 1000 miles on them but they seem good. Good grip, low noise and decent tread pattern. Plus they are XL. Will find out what they are like in the snow soon no doubt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Quality tyre, what don't you like, I like me but can't afford  using Avon RX5  decent tyre need to  replace 2 off them will go for the RX7

Agreed....fine if you're driving like yer granny but a bit 'snappy' if pushed in the wet i.e. not a lot of warning before they stop gripping.

• Like 1

I've not found the limit of grip yet, I've given it some stick in the wet too. I'm pleased with the cross climate. I used to use Avon ZZ3 back in the day and they were great, just too soft a compound to be value for money

• Like 1

I'm interested that a few of you are running Michelin Cross Climate tyres. I would like to try these but they aren't available in 235/50/R17. I'm assuming that those using them have different engines or wheel sizes. Does anyone run an all-season tyre in 235/50/R17?

Selection of tyres available in the size isn't great, is it, but I note that Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons are available (but expensive....but then so would the Michelin Cross Climates be if they were available).

You may want to have a look here: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92863/all-season-tyres-test-20162017-top-all-weather-tyres-tested (and even here: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92906/winter-tyre-guide-are-they-worth-it) for general background.

• Like 1

On Thursday November 10, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Yowsah said:

I don't like the Primacy 3 tyres in the wet. Not enough grip.

Some additional info: the Primacy 3 is Michelin's 'middle of the road' (sorry about the pun) selection, and the trade-off that they have made is that it has a (much) longer wear life than the top sport tyres but at the cost of less grip - wet grip primarily - than the top sport tyres. It sounds as if you would have been happier with something more like a 'sport' tyre, but you have to bare in mind the shorter life part of the equation. The Prim 3 is also a slightly old design which doesn't help either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Some additional info: the Primacy 3 is Michelin's 'middle of the road' (sorry about the pun) selection, and the trade-off that they have made is that it has a (much) longer wear life than the top sport tyres but at the cost of less grip - wet grip primarily - than the top sport tyres. It sounds as if you would have been happier with something more like a 'sport' tyre, but you have to bare in mind the shorter life part of the equation. The Prim 3 is also a slightly old design which doesn't help either.

Thanks for this very helpful info. It explains a great deal. I now have to decide whether to stick with the Primacy 3 tyres and get the benefit of longevity  or go for all season tyres of which only the Goodyear Vector 4 season is available in my size of 235/50/R17. I could of course go for a 'sport' tyre but winter is coming as they say!

There are some Nokian Weatherproof tyres that are all season if you are willing to go down on the profile size to 45. They get decent reviews and Nokian are not the tyre they used to be. Your speedo would under read by 4% though so at 100mph your speedo would read 96 and at 30 it would read 29. To get a better selection of tyres you would need to change your rims completely. For instance 225/55/16 would get you into cross climate but the speedo would under read by 2%.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

There are some Nokian Weatherproof tyres that are all season if you are willing to go down on the profile size to 45. They get decent reviews and Nokian are not the tyre they used to be. Your speedo would under read by 4% though so at 100mph your speedo would read 96 and at 30 it would read 29. To get a better selection of tyres you would need to change your rims completely. For instance 225/55/16 would get you into cross climate but the speedo would under read by 2%.

I had wondered about going down a profile but was concerned that it might affect my insurance. I can't really afford a set of wheels and tyres so I'm really looking at the Primacy 3 or Goodyear Vector tyres. All the posts on this thread have been extremely helpful and are much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Re insurance you would certainly have to tell them, not sure it would really affect the premium however. If you go down the route of new rims then take a look at rims that are fitted to other mondeos in the range and choose one of those, your insurance would not be a problem then. Extra rims are expensive though. I had winter and summer rims and it does take the worry out of kerbing the good summer rims. I got a set of rims and tyres at a steal though. Going down a profile leaves the rims vulnerable to kerbing though as lights scuffs while parking will get the rim instead of the sidewall.

Tyres and wheels are a bit of a minefield.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club