Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New insurance TIPS ?

Patrico777

Hi

Wanted to ask you guys some tips when going for new insurance mine finishes next month so I need to start looking any advice ?

Try as many sites as possible, both comparisons and directly through insurers. If you get a good quote now they will usually last for 30 days (mine did with Aviva) as I understand some quotes go up the closer you are to the insurance expiring.

Try the driving app's that some insurers use. I personally used the Aviva app prior to renewing my insurance in March and got a discount of £105 off of the first quote (£415 down to £310 for the year). I was driving a works vehicle at the time of using the app (which was tracked for speed etc.) so it made it easier to not be tempted to do that extra ~5/10mph :biggrin:.

go through compare the market and then claim your free meerkat toy, then sell it on eBay. Actually I have done this in the past, but they don't seem to be worth much now

Go to a comparison site, find the cheapest quote with everything you need on it, then go to the website of that company (not directly through the provided link, do a fresh search) and in most cases it'll be a percentage cheaper again (comparison sites take commission which bumps the price a small amount)

BIG TIP for everyone, after you finished searching, delete your history and cookies before the next time you do a search. The build up of information through cookies can actually increase the price the next time you do a search. (Hard to explain but it does happen and is documented online)

Try topcashback if you're with them, often have decent deals on car insurance, though you do have to wait a few months to get the cashback usually.

yes +1 for top cashback once you have found the cheapest company go to https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/cjay2412 and click on the company link and make your purchase sign up is free last time i checked.

for transparency i get a referral bonus if you sign up with that link at no cost to yourself

also a weird one my quote for fully comp was less than half the price of third party fire and theft. the reason i was given for this was that people who insure fully comp had fewer /lower cost fault accidents. so play around with quotes. to get the cover that wright for you.

lastly some comparison sites offer cash back when you get  quote when clicking through the topcashback links confused.com currently offering £2.32 for a quote

Play around with your job title as this could increase the premiums

I'm a Civil Servant working in IT, if i choose IT my premium will be different to that of a Civvie so try it.

another thing i noticed was that if my car was on the drive (parked at night) it would make no difference to it being parked in a garage but the car had to be put away by 10pm so i told them its on the drive.

Fully Comp is always better for some reason. Once you have a good quote ring the company to see if they can offer you a better deal - sometimes they can. I know Admiral did with me and thats with mods declared!

DO NOT get a black box - see this weeks Watchdog for people falling foul of these boxes - insurances companies will look for a way out of paying up and will use the stats to get out - my wife worked in this industry.....

Different comparison websites will offer different premiums from the same companies too so its worthwhile re-entering the info over and over again!

good luck and as above, cashback websites are a must!

8 hours ago, salsheikh said:

Play around with your job title as this could increase the premiums

I'm a Civil Servant working in IT, if i choose IT my premium will be different to that of a Civvie so try it.

another thing i noticed was that if my car was on the drive (parked at night) it would make no difference to it being parked in a garage but the car had to be put away by 10pm so i told them its on the drive.

Fully Comp is always better for some reason. Once you have a good quote ring the company to see if they can offer you a better deal - sometimes they can. I know Admiral did with me and thats with mods declared!

DO NOT get a black box - see this weeks Watchdog for people falling foul of these boxes - insurances companies will look for a way out of paying up and will use the stats to get out - my wife worked in this industry.....

Different comparison websites will offer different premiums from the same companies too so its worthwhile re-entering the info over and over again!

good luck and as above, cashback websites are a must!

Will it be ok to say that I work in it even if I dont ??

The price changed a lot when I put in it civil servant

57 minutes ago, Patrico777 said:

Will it be ok to say that I work in it even if I dont ??

No that's insurance fraud.  

2 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

The price changed a lot when I put in it civil servant

It has to be related to what you do, otherwise as above it's classed as insurance fraud.

My job is covered by many different categories that insurers use. As long as the one you say is accurate, it's worth experimenting.

Put a much older person on as a named driver too.  Don't declare them as the main driver if they are not, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with having extra drivers like a parent.

Consider where you park your car. Garaged is not usually the cheapest because they get quite a lot of claims for parking damage. Do you have a resident car park? Why not try declaring it as a car port or just residents parking.

Whatever you do though - don't lie.

10 hours ago, GaryPL said:

Put a much older person on as a named driver too.  Don't declare them as the main driver if they are not, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with having extra drivers like a parent.

Apparently this doesn't work in a lot of cases now that I've read on a few different forums.  Insurers have wised up to people adding named drivers so it now adds to the premium.  I have always done it but will see if it's cheaper to remove mine this year.  Worth trying it with and without though. 

23 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Apparently this doesn't work in a lot of cases now that I've read on a few different forums.  Insurers have wised up to people adding named drivers so it now adds to the premium.  I have always done it but will see if it's cheaper to remove mine this year.  Worth trying it with and without though. 

It worked for me when I put my dad on. As you say. It can't hurt to try.

Already done insurance, £130 a month with a claim ! Fully comp with my dad on policy as well 

I was going to say that was very cheap for the year, then re-read it's per month :blink:.

the best advice I can offer with car insurance, is sell the car and then you dont have to worry about insurance (so much cheaper!) but then again.... public transport!

shop around is always the best, tweak your job title:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

You can save a few quid that way...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club