Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Mondeo

The Latman

Hey Folks,

Just ordered my new (company) MkV Mondeo Titanium (econetic), due for delivery early next year.  I was a bit wary after some of the reviews were a bit harsh on the handling and in particular the steering.   I tested one and found the steering was quite nicely weighted.  Have Ford done anything with the steering over the past year, or is this jusrt reviewers with an agenda?

Outgoing car is a Vauxhall GTC and a lot of reviews said similar about its steering, when again I had no issues with it.

Had Focus's (and loved them until the previous facelifted model) for years before taking a punt on the VX, due to family I needed something bigger, so it was either a Passat or the Mondeo.

Ive specified the park assist feature (though if you can park a GTC without sensors you can park anything!) but just wanted to get some general opinions on the Mondeo (y'know, to make me regret ordering it an all.... ;-) )

Cheers,

Lat

All I can say is IMHO the current model is not a sharp handling wise as the mk4

Although I own a MK2 Focus saloon I drove loads of MK4 Mondeos in my previous job and loved them (as someone who enjoys 'driving' cars):

Good points (IMHO)

• comfy
  • sensible interior controls
  • excellent steering feedback/weight
  • doesn't feel 'heavy' when cornering
  • even the estate can corner at frankly obscene speeds (even in the wet)
  • feels surprisingly agile when pushed for such a big car

Negatives:

• It's BIG (especially in estate form, car parks and in particular multi-storeys can be a test of nerve)
  • moderate road/wind noise at high motorway speeds (although loads quieter than a MK2 Focus in the same situation)

Driven both a standard (Zetec 150 BHP MK5 saloon & 180 BHP AWD Vignale estate :wub:)

Good points:

• Looks sexy as **** :biggrin:
  • Interior is better than MK4 but not as much in the way of soft touch plastics as a good spec Passat
  • Due to thicker glass, better insulation and noise cancellation technology from the stereo it's nice and quiet in the cabin
  • Still offers better cornering grip than it's peers e.g. Passat/Insignia

Negative:

• Although better than most in it's class it does feel heavier when cornering than a MK4 Mondeo
  • Steering is fine but if you've driven a MK4 Mondeo you still know the MK5 steering doesn't have the same 'feedback' just because it's better than an Insignia
  • The centre console plastic is fine enough but is still a bit plasticky compared to a Passat
  • The standard headlights (halogen) are about much use at night as a candle in the wind, seriously you have to experience them on an unlit country road at night to realise just how appalling they are! :wallbash: (the bi-led's on the Vignale were in a different class)
  • Changing some of the front lights in a bumper off job :withstupid:

To summarise...as a pure drivers car the MK4 wins hands down, for a solid drivers experience and more mod cons, nicer interior/exteriors looks etc the MK5 is great.  If you don't give a damn about the driving experience buy an Insignia or a Passat if you're feeling flush. :whip:

• 1 month later...

I just took delivery of my 2017 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid (US version of the Mondeo).  I liked the Fusion so much that I bought my wife and son one for their cars as well.  My 17 replaces a 15 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid.

My son's car is the base model with NO options and is very comfortable to drive. My only concern is the Shadow Black paint since the car is parked outside.

I have had no problems with any of my Fusions from this iteration.  I am just sorry we can only get the Fusion as a sedan/saloon.  I wish I could have a wagon/estate.

I hope you enjoy your new car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club