Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Mondeo 2000 not starting.

Niall

Well, I bought a mk2 Mondeo zetec a couple weeks back and it's been fine, noticed the Speakers in the rear door weren't working, so decided to investigate, at this point I'll point out I'm not the most experienced in electricals, looked around and all wires seemed fine, I plugged in the System Remote Control wire, as that wasn't plugged into anything, all the electricals were working fine, put the head unit back into it's place, then when I went to start the engine everything went off. Come online to check some problems, then went back to the car to find the electricals had come back on, yet when I try start the engine it would all go off again, I also noticed there was a tick sound that came from the engine when I tried to start the engine, does anyone have any clue as to what has happened?

Thanks.

Well, I bought a mk2 Mondeo zetec a couple weeks back and it's been fine, noticed the speakers in the rear door weren't working, so decided to investigate, at this point I'll point out I'm not the most experienced in electricals, looked around and all wires seemed fine, I plugged in the System Remote Control wire, as that wasn't plugged into anything, all the electricals were working fine, put the head unit back into it's place, then when I went to start the engine everything went off. Come online to check some problems, then went back to the car to find the electricals had come back on, yet when I try start the engine it would all go off again, I also noticed there was a tick sound that came from the engine when I tried to start the engine, does anyone have any clue as to what has happened?

Thanks.

flat battery

How certain are you? :)

I had just driven home from Manchester which is about 30 minutes or so.

without actually seeing the car im as sure as i can be over the internet.

the electrics going off then coming back on later definetly sounds like the battery stabilising itself and regaining some charge. usually when you hear a click from the engine is caused by a flat battery, if the starter motor is making no attempt to turn then it just confirms it could be the battery.

is it the original battery thats in the car? it could well be that its had enough.

you could do a basic test if you have a voltmeter... connect the meter across the battery and have someone attempt to start the car, if the voltage falls under 10v(i think) then the battery is definetly duff or flat.

hope this helps.

Just tried a couple solutions that I found online, matching the symptoms of my problem to no avail. I can turn the key to bring on the electronics, they all work fine, but then when I go to ignition it all cuts out, I also noticed that if I lock the car using the keyhole all the electrics come back online, if that's any help to figuring out what's wrong.

Just tried a couple solutions that I found online, matching the symptoms of my problem to no avail. I can turn the key to bring on the electronics, they all work fine, but then when I go to ignition it all cuts out, I also noticed that if I lock the car using the keyhole all the electrics come back online, if that's any help to figuring out what's wrong.

my money is still on a flat or duff battery. the simplest way to go is to get that checked out first - its probably the cheapest aswell.

i would start with either charging the battery overnight or a jump start from another car.

Just charging it now, got it on an RAC Battery charger, hope it's all ok. Thanks again for the help.

if it starts ok after charging the battery then i strongly advise you take the car to Halfords or a local motor factors etc and ask them to load test the battery. most places do this for free in hope of a sale.

if you have a multimeter i would also advise that you check the output voltage of the alternator too.

if it starts ok after charging the battery then i strongly advise you take the car to halfords or a local motor factors etc and ask them to load test the battery. most places do this for free in hope of a sale.

if you have a multimeter i would also advise that you check the output voltage of the alternator too.

It worked, gonna go up and check those things shortly, thanks again :]

Local motor factors is the way forward :)

They be cheaper and have a lot more knowledge of things than Halfrauds :)

Local motor factors is the way forward :)

They be cheaper and have a lot more knowledge of things than Halfrauds :)

im not one for sticking up for Halfords but... i think if motor factors had any knowledge of cars and the workings of them they would be VERY dangerous.

when i had to replace the clutch master cylinder on my focus i had numerous arguements with motor factors because they thought they knew better and what they were trying to sell me was infact the slave cylinder.

they only know what their catalogues tell them and they only sell the parts to people who probably know what they are doing, in my opinion they shouldnt try and do anymore...

i must admit a motor factors is probably cheaper than Halfords though.

glad you got the car started again Niall, let us know how you get on with getting the battery load tested.

Depends I guess, my local factors Im on very good repor with.

Apex of Hereford.

The one guy could go and pick an exhaust off the shelf if you just say what the car is without the brochure and there are a couple of older ex mechanics there and they put me to shame most of the time...I start sounding real clever then thy come up with some info I aint heard of before and it works and is awesome!

And when it comes to batterys they are ace again, will check the charge/drain etc free, no hassle money back if problems.

Im not a trading mechanic anymore, yet they keep my trade account open....

Oh yeah, anyone near Hereford and wants some parts trade price, let me know and I will hook you up! The more I order, the more discount I get! :) :) :)

And then Herefords Halfrauds just have spotty college drop outs who think a chrome exhaust and bee sting ariel halve your 0-60 time!!!!

Depends who you got I guess.

Piggy :)

Its 99.9percnt a faulty battery as allready stated, im sure a new one will cure your starting problem but i doubt it will be the answer to your speaker fault.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club