Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car woes

GaryPL

Hello,

I have taken my car back to Ford a couple of times already for rattles and vibration/hesitation/judder when pulling off.  They said there was nothing wrong with the judder and they apparently fixed the only rattle they could find, yet the really annoying one I categorically said only does it when cruising, usually on the motorway, they didn't attempt to fix because the garage is nowhere near a faster road.  The noise is somewhere in the B pillar and it does my head in being next to my good ear (partially deaf in one ear).  The car absolutely hates hill starts and it doesn't like flat starts very much either.  I was told that I needed more revs when pulling away because of the 3 cylinder engine.  Well it doesn't like pulling away at anywhere between 1 and 3k revs and any more than that and it'll start wheel spinning.

The first video is a noise I have noticed when reversing over the tiniest of bumps.  In this case, a bump less than 1/2 an inch high and it happens when you rev and lift the clutch:

http://sendvid.com/p69exrkp

I've attached a picture of the bump that I was trying to reverse over. As you can see, it's virtually nonexistent.

The same hesitation and judder as above when driving forwards is also present.  So are the issues above linked? What is it likely to be?

Another thing I noticed was when I was demisting the car after pushing the orange "max" button.  The lights all round the car dimmed and it was slightly hesitant to rev up, however when the revs did pick up, the lights brightened.  Is this normal? I appreciate that there's quite a lot of load on the alternator/engine with 2 heated screens, air con and the demist motor running flat out but I am a little concerned:

http://sendvid.com/fz1oj9la - can see it very clearly in this video.

http://sendvid.com/natck8yo - can kind of see it in this video but didn't do a very good job at capturing it.

Slightly annoyed as I spent a lot of money on a new car, so I wouldn't have to worry about lots of  issues and niggles. Unfortunately I am starting to regret my decision, what with the drama I had buying the thing too.

Any thoughts on the issues gratefully received though :)  Thanks

IMG_20161111_225931832.jpg

On 12/11/2016 at 0:05 AM, GaryPL said:

Hello,

I have taken my car back to Ford a couple of times already for rattles and vibration/hesitation/judder when pulling off.  They said there was nothing wrong with the judder and they apparently fixed the only rattle they could find, yet the really annoying one I categorically said only does it when cruising, usually on the motorway, they didn't attempt to fix because the garage is nowhere near a faster road.  The noise is somewhere in the B pillar and it does my head in being next to my good ear (partially deaf in one ear).  The car absolutely hates hill starts and it doesn't like flat starts very much either.  I was told that I needed more revs when pulling away because of the 3 cylinder engine.  Well it doesn't like pulling away at anywhere between 1 and 3k revs and any more than that and it'll start wheel spinning.

The first video is a noise I have noticed when reversing over the tiniest of bumps.  In this case, a bump less than 1/2 an inch high and it happens when you rev and lift the clutch:

http://sendvid.com/p69exrkp

I've attached a picture of the bump that I was trying to reverse over. As you can see, it's virtually nonexistent.

The same hesitation and judder as above when driving forwards is also present.  So are the issues above linked? What is it likely to be?

Another thing I noticed was when I was demisting the car after pushing the orange "max" button.  The lights all round the car dimmed and it was slightly hesitant to rev up, however when the revs did pick up, the lights brightened.  Is this normal? I appreciate that there's quite a lot of load on the alternator/engine with 2 heated screens, air con and the demist motor running flat out but I am a little concerned:

http://sendvid.com/fz1oj9la - can see it very clearly in this video.

http://sendvid.com/natck8yo - can kind of see it in this video but didn't do a very good job at capturing it.

Slightly annoyed as I spent a lot of money on a new car, so I wouldn't have to worry about lots of  issues and niggles. Unfortunately I am starting to regret my decision, what with the drama I had buying the thing too.

Any thoughts on the issues gratefully received though :)  Thanks

IMG_20161111_225931832.jpg

How I getting on with the car have u had back to dealers yet. I do have tiny clutch judder and annoying 

Clutch judder on a 2015 car,that aint right at all as i aint got that on my 2011 fiesta.

Strange noise when reversing but the judder would be my main thing,do eco-boost do this then being 3 cylinder and low revs on pull off/no turbo.

Unfortunately I haven't got it into the garage yet. Going to book it in soon, with a huge long list of gripes. Am really not impressed (especially after the urine take I had buying the thing from Ford in the first place), which is a shame as it's such a fun car to drive.

• Like 1

Mate i would get it booked in as things like this on a car so new would make me very upset/angry.

I know no car is fault free but just off the clutch alone would get me mad,reading a few stuff on here lately about faults etc.

I will shop around next time i think,my mate has a 2014 focus  zetec s the 1 litre eco and said pulling off is not the best thing

as it needs a few revs being its a 1 litre and a big car then the turbo kicks in and your off,i did have a go in it and i did see what he means.

I would book it in and see what they say.

• Like 1

Clutch judder was known on 2012-2013/14 ecoboosts due to the clutch choice they originally used. Some were recalled but most were never replaced. my 2012 1.6EB judders from a standstill and presents with an odd loud hum for a second when trying to reverse - very similar to that of the Vectra 1.8VVT (also known for it) - the remedy was newer parts. But saying this, yours is far newer and shouldn't be doing it.

regardless of being a 3 cylinder, it shouldn't be difficult to move off from a stand still, especially on a flat road. I'd be back in asking them to take a better look at it.

Are you the first owner or was there any previous? if had a previous owner and it was young driver with a panel filter, your MAF could be fouled up, which gives the symptoms you have stated. - I've talked about this issue a lot on here, but I see and hear about it all the time my way so always worth a mention.

• Like 1

Thanks. I am going to get it booked in.

I am the 2nd owner.  Was bought from Trust Ford and it was owned by them previously. Had about 5000 miles on the clock.

Mine has the same noise when reversing uphill. Let me know how you get on with repair, I'm interested! 

Yes as said above keep us up to date on this as never knew this about the ECO having this problem.

So a 2013/2014 and by the look at it 2015 if they didn't change the parts to another make,good info this it as its a ££££ job new clutch.

Was this problem from new on the ECO or after a few thousand miles like 3 or 4 k.

My reverse gear judder bad when trying to lift off clutch while reversing. Try testing it's and see if it's the same

Just had the techie out today and he said he can feel judder car is booked in now for new clutch. So Garypl make sure u take it out with them when u go to dealership. And I also drove my car round for a couple of hours before cause mine was worse when it was hot.

• Like 1

Cool. Thanks for the tip off. Mine is also worse when warm. Seems really do have the same issue!

I have gone away for work and we hired a diesel Kia Carens. It drives so much more smoothly than my Fiesta. But I guess I kind of got used to it. But the contrast between the 2 is black and white. So this has just confirmed in my mind that there's something wrong.

• Like 1

I see and hear of a nice few going off fords,i know 2 around by us as he had a focus from new the one chap and it was a 52plate,he said to noisy when you drive it

so went and had a Hyundai and said he test drove the focus/fiesta,another went for the Peugeot 308 (woman) and test drove a new fiesta,same again noisy drive.

So a clutch problem now on the fiesta ecoboost,makes you think these days,see a lot more foreign cars taking there place,still love my 2011 tit fez.but see there point.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive booked into a Ford dealer. But they could only get me in just before Christmas because I asked for a courtesy car. Will report back.

I left them with a toilet roll long list of issues.

Keep us updated mate. Hope they sort all the problems out for ya

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the car went in today and the guy at the desk balked at the length of my list of problems (with the car and not me!).  Especially when I presented them on a printed A4 sheet with links to videos and photos.  He said I may not get the car back today which I understand, but I was invited to call for an update in the afternoon.  Well I have been trying for an hour now and not one person is picking up the phone.

Given the drama I had buying the ***** car, I really am not impressed by Ford's dealers.  The words I want to use would get me banned from here.  And what's even worse is that I have taken the car to another dealer!  So the rot is apparently company-wide.

Replicated this post on another thread as coincidentally someone else posted with one of the same issues as me and I posted there too:

• Like 1

Finally got through after an hour and a half of trying to be told to call back tomorrow.  Then about 30 minutes later, I had someone give me a call, which was nice.  They think it could have a dodgy alternator or alternator pulley which is causing the dimming and also the one-touch window operation.  Not sure I get the window bit, but they're the experts.  They don't get the pulling away problem and many of the rattles, so I am going to pop down tomorrow and go out with an engineer.

• Like 2

Yep make sure u take out the engineer as on my car they said they couldn't find anything wrong until I went out with engineer. Hope it's goes well for u tomorrow mate. I'm this close to moving to vw my self as of so far I've had 3 things go wrong for me in 3 months, dash not aluminating properly  a clutch and complete failure of power fold wing mirror.

• 4 weeks later...

They had the car for 2 days, basically said they couldn't find any rattles, that the clutch was OK and the car was fine.  They did however concede that the lights were dimming too much.  So it's going back in tomorrow morning for 2 days for them to investigate the electrical problems.  The clutch is worse since I took it there a few weeks ago - I couldn't reverse off my parents' gravel driveway at Christmas without it getting a burning smell.  I had to kick my mum and dad out of the car just so I could move the thing and my dad pushed.  Nor can I bump up onto a kerb without the burning smell happening.  I managed to get the burning smell to happen when I was at the garage by trying to reverse over a speed bump but he said it was my fault!  A car should be able to reverse over a bump without cooking the clutch.

I will report back.

Yet another update.

Monday - not able to identify an issue regarding the dimming lights, even though they said in December that they found an issue and were going to investigate. Didn't bother looking at the suspected clutch issue.

Tuesday - Still couldn't find the dimming light issue and yet again they deny there are clutch problems.  I explained how to get the fault once again, even though it was demonstrated in December.

Today - Still not able to find anything.  Got a call early afternoon telling me they wanted more information.  I got a bit 'assertive' stating they wanted the car back themselves - they know what the problem is.  Re-explained what I have explained many times before, both verbally and in writing.  The guy even said he remembered me getting booked back in.  Also said they have to investigate from scratch because the engineer who looked previously is off sick (which is unfortunate for the engineer, but doesn't give me any faith about their internal procedures).  Was promised a call and a voicemail (as I was in a meeting at work) in the afternoon.  No call and no message.

So still no resolution to the clutch or dimming lights, or the plethora of other issues I raised but have lost the will to pursue at the moment.  I mean, does the car physically have to be on fire for them to accept something is wrong?  Or would that get written off as "typical for the 1.0 ecoboost" or "normal for the 5 speed gearbox" or "within normal expectations"?  It's utter bull *****.

I don't say this lightly but I hate Ford and am starting to hate my car too.  It must take more effort to be so crap than it would to just offer an acceptable service.  I have even had a root canal without an anaesthetic.  I'd much prefer to have that again than keep having to deal with a bunch of willfully incompetent and obstructive morons.  At least with the root canal, its done in 20 minutes.  This Ford drama has been going on months, since before I even bought the poxy car.

If this isn't sorted soon, I will be leaving the car on their doorstep and invoking my rights under the Comsumer Rights Act.  One good thing - at least for as long as they have my car, I have their courtesy car.

Sorry for the rant.  I am just getting to the end of my tether.

More to add.

Thursday - called the dealer again (they don't call me) and they have finally acknowledged that there is in fact vibration with the clutch and they suspect it's possibly the release bearing.  Hooray you might think.  Nope.  They are now trying to get some sort of agreement out of Ford who apparently are impossible to contact.  Said they are trying for warranty, but also goodwill(!), and something with Ford CRC.  Why I need goodwill for something that was present the day I bought the car, I don't know.  WIll see what happens.  The guy I am dealing with says he drives the same car and could tell mine is not right.  They have yet to hear anything about the dimming lights from the poor bloke who had his appendix out.  I can't say I blame him for wanting to rest up.  I also stated that I will be rejecting the car if its not returned to my satisfaction.

Friday - I called again and the guy I am dealing with said he had called 3 times and spent 40 minutes on hold each time before having to hang up.  He seems to be trying to help and I am being polite in return.  So glad I have a courtesy car!  I was offered the chance to pick up my car and carry on using it.  I said that given my intention to reject it, to start driving it again would compromise my position that it is not of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose.  He was understanding of my position, recalling our chat from the day before.  He said he'd spend as long on the phone as he needs to on Monday.

So watch this space!

Hope u get to the bottom of all the issues u have.from last week I traded my ford and got a golf. I was getting sick of all the  things wrong with mine. So I thought I have a change. I will still be on these forums tho as my whole family drives fords. Keeps the updates coming mate

Will do!  The car you traded in is the one in your avatar? If so, mine is a 65 plate too.  Just turned a year old.  Thoroughly disgusted if I am honest.

If I reject the vehicle, I will never touch another Ford.  Came back to them because I had such a crap time of it with my Corsa!  May well go German or Far East next - KIA is looking pretty good at the moment and the Pro-Ceed is a handsome car.  But if I stick with the Fiesta, I certainly don't plan on keeping it beyond the warranty - looks far too risky to.  The 1.0 'Ecoboomb' seems to have a habit of going bang at 30-40k!

Yep that's the car. To be Honist I've had so many fords I just wanted to try something different. Even tho I've had so good ford cars every single one I've had a issue with. I actually traded down I got a 2013 vw golf 1.4 tsi with 1500 miles on it. I may regret it I may not. But it is a truly pleasure to drive and I am quite happy even tho I was very nervous about leaving ford. My mate had a new Kia ceed as a courtesy car and it was nice and from what I hear the customer service is really good along with a 7 year warranty.