Do Not Sell My Personal Information

System engine failure.

Son of Nod

Been getting this during the week. Red light appears. Then limp mode.

Ran a diagnostic looks for error codes and got nothing?

So pretty much clueless.

Help? 

depending on the year its also a classic cluster failure symptom

could be a cluster issue then no idea why but I had a lot of mk2 focus that literally once they hit 10yrs old were all having cluster failures a ford tech I know an old boy told me the focus was never assumed by ford to last 10yrs anyway so none of the parts were really designed that way.there will be no diagnostic codes on screen but a proper machine will show random can bus error codes either stored or pending it can also be the wiring to the cluster to check I remove the cluster leave it plugged in start the car and move the wiring around you'll either get management lights come up or you won't if they don't its usually the dash cluster

• Like 1

oh forgot to say if you turn the car on and off does the error clear another symptom of the cluster....beware if it gets really bad the car will refuse to start there is a how to on the forum of how to repair the cluster or a company like cluster repairs can test it on the spot fox it and put it back in if you wait an hour

petrol or diesel?  engine size?   what equipment were you using for error code check

On 13/11/2016 at 1:22 PM, Son of Nod said:

Red light appears. Then limp mode.

Ran a diagnostic looks for error codes and got nothing?

A system like Forscan will find the error codes. Generic OBD2 scanners are not so good for this sort of problem.

2006 Foci ICs (clusters) are notorious for this, as Arthur says, but your symptoms don't quite stack up, at least not yet. Was the red light the ! in a circle? This "Engine systems light" is an early warning of the cluster fault.

If you go to a Ford Stealer, they will charge you £800 or more for a new IC, repairs will cost about £100, I have electronics / soldering experience and fixed mine for £0. But more evidence is needed yet before condemning the IC.

in my case same symptoms it wasn't the cluster but a break in the wire on the multiplug that plugs into the cluster I could get rid of it by hitting the dash above the cluster lol

Try Forscan, though I have not tried it, as my car is OBD1. But it seems to be good, and if your next car is a Ford then it is an investment.

Maybe take out the cluster, spray it with contact spray, and the connections. 

1 hour ago, v530anh said:

Try Forscan, though I have not tried it, as my car is OBD1

Forscan does work on OBD1 cars, like the mk1 Focus. It is just that you might need a good ELM327 that has the full range of interface standards. Some Chinese clones may not work. There are several cases on this site of people using Forscan on pre-OBD2 cars.

As regards investment, the software is free (for a windows laptop), as it is a collaborative effort by enthusiasts, not some commercial rip-off. And a decent USB ELM can be bought for about £15.

For wireless versions on iOS or Android, there are low cost Forscan Apps, and there are some ELMs that work, although more limited.

On problems like this, where standard scanners show no codes, it is invaluable, but it also has a lot of extra servicing & diagnostic aids.

I have posted info about it quite often, including here:

• Like 1

Would I be able to use this:

Generic 12 Pin To 16 pin Female OBD1 OBD2 Diagnostic Tool Connector Adapter Car Cable For GM

Maybe not, it has a lot of bad reviews, I continue searching....

Update: Each time it happens we slow down and are at low revs.....

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club