Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Focus Titanium Clutch Issue

Manda b

Hi there,

My father and I purchased a focus each through the Privilege scheme.

My car has been fine, my fathers however has not. At just under 300 miles his clutched failed, he called rac, they bled the clutch and got it going again but advised him to take it to a local dealer to be checked. He did this, they had the car for a few hours and said they couldn't find a reason for it. Not 2 weeks later he has the exact same issue at just over 500 miles. He too it to another dealer who told him he had to wait until 01st Dec for the car to be looked at and a courtesy car. They did say if it happens again he's to refuse road side repair so it's towed to them then they can hire him a car and look at it sooner.

firstly, is this a known issue?

secondly, what's the chances they will blame driver error & get away with it?

thirdly, are there any sales regulations that would come into play with having only picked the car up on the 8th October.

If anyone can offer any advice we would be very grateful, my fathers in his 70's and any stress like this sends him bonkers, hence why I have tried to take this over for him.

Many thanks

Amanda 

Hi,

The right to a refund is 30 days from when he collected the car so in theory that has gone. You could argue though that any amount of days spent requesting repairs or having them carried out can be deducted off that. So, for example, if you have had a car for 40 days but have spent 20 days requesting/waiting for repairs and/or having repairs carried out, the law is that you have only had the car for 20 days.

I've heard of garages claiming that clutches aren't covered by the warranty and saying its a wear and tear issue but with such low mileage, I can't see them trying that here. I don't know if the fault is a regular occurrence though so it might be useful to ask about that in the Focus forum.

• Like 1

Thank you for your response. We collected the cars on the 1st Oct (misquoted before) my parents then went on holiday on the 08th back on the 22nd, the car wasn't used during this time and then it first broke down on the 27th October. So in terms of days use we would be within but I know that wouldn't be taken into consideration. I guess we can only hope that all th horror stories I've been reading do not happen to us also. 

I will also ask in the Focus forum and thanks again! 

Amanda