Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Price difference between Petrol/Diesel

focusdriver

I've got a manual 2012 Focus which I've had from new and has never let me down.  I want to get a new car for the wife as she is changing jobs.  

I want to get an automatic Focus and am surprised in the difference in price between Petrol/Diesels.  For example a Petrol 65 reg Focus with 1040 miles is £8,990 but an equivalent Diesel is £15,000.  We do quite high mileage so I thought I would get a diesel but am now having 2nd thoughts.

Could someone explain the high price difference?

Thanks

£6,000 is a big difference!  Aren't diesels supposed to hold their value better?  Even so, how many miles would you have to do to make up that 6k in economy.....I'm guessing a lot.  I'm just thinking of getting a second focus myself for the wife but am looking at petrol as she won't be doing loads of miles.   I was looking at 08 - 09 plates but the diesels weren't hugely more expensive at that age so maybe the difference is exaggerated when your looking at nearly new cars?  Just a thought.

Yes, it looks like it's with newer cars that the price difference is more - might be supply and demand.

I don't think it's a DV6 engine - here's the link http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605254285230?make=ford&model=focus

I've attached a PDF of the ad too.

Ford Focus 1.pdf

Anyone thinking about buying a diesel might want to have a read of this. Could knock the premium price for six.

• Like 1

Diesels cost more to buy brand new due to their stupidly expensive emissions systems...DPF costs more than a petrol cat for example, the brand new price means they stay higher priced when used for a while.  They also sell more petrols now so can put the price down a bit on those and make up for it with quantity instead.

£6k seems a big difference though, are they different specs, are you comparing a Zetec to Titanium for example?  Which actual engines are you comparing?  If it's a crappy 1.6 VCT petrol it'll be far cheaper than an ecoboost or diesel...

7 hours ago, mjt said:

Anyone thinking about buying a diesel might want to have a read of this. Could knock the premium price for six.

I think I will be staying with petrol after reading that lol!

22 hours ago, focusdriver said:

I've got a manual 2012 Focus which I've had from new and has never let me down.  I want to get a new car for the wife as she is changing jobs.  

I want to get an automatic Focus and am surprised in the difference in price between Petrol/Diesels.  For example a Petrol 65 reg Focus with 1040 miles is £8,990 but an equivalent Diesel is £15,000.  We do quite high mileage so I thought I would get a diesel but am now having 2nd thoughts.

Could someone explain the high price difference?

Thanks

Most of my family converted from diesel to petrol over the last year and wish they had done it sooner, Its like I keep telling them and anyone who asks "petrol vs diesel which one should I get????" you need to find a car you like first then look at the differences between the specs engines ect and then consider your own budget and needs as the same thing wont suit everybody I would recommend some of the newer petrol engines like the eco boost or similar because at the end of the day most  people want a decent car that is cheap to run but is reliable so really its up to your self to weigh up to pro's and cons and see what the result is.

Good luck.