Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fusion 1.4 tdci injector seals

Sierra Charlie

I have just replaced the injector seals on my Fusion 1.4 tdci as the car was missing slightly every now and again plus there was a smell of diesel. The car starts ok but the slight missing is now even more obvious and I am kind of thinking I may have an injector playing up as it goes into limp mode when the engine hesitates/misses. I am taking it for a diagnostic check, early next week as this is the soonest appointment available, hoping this will help confirm the cause.

Anyone else had this experience and just wondering whether injector cleaner would be worth a try?

Many thanks in anticipation.

I had a similar problem on my last 1.6tdci ((09 reg). There was a brief hesitation during the engine warm up while driving under load IE up hill when the engine was cool, pulling off from a standing start when the engine was cool/warming up. This developed into cutting out under any kind of load IE when the clutch was at biting point, engine would cut. If I started the engine & waited until the engine was warm (about 15mins), the car would run fine, apart from an occasional brief hesitation. I had this checked out 3 times by different garages with no joy aprt from the advice of replacing the injector rail assembly at a cost of around £750, as this was the only consistent area of fault codes. 1 trip to a diagnostic center revealed a faulty solenoid on the said rail assembly which was replaced for £60 sourced from eBay. Perhaps worth checking out?

Good luck, as I can tell you from experience it is a really frustrating problem.

Cheers

Martin 

• Like 1

Thanks very much Martin for taking the time to reply to my post.

I did ponder putting some injector cleaner in but I could only find Wynns petrol injector cleaner in the shop I visited. Halfords list their own diesel injector cleaner but I refrained from purchasing this as own brands have been known not to be quite so effective as named brands :unsure:

Anyway, I took the car for a diagnostic check and I was informed there was a multiple missfire on No 4 injector.

This has now caused another conundrum. Which is No 4 injector? As you look at the engine from the front with the timing belt on the left and the battery on the right hand side then which is No 4 injector? Is it the one nearest the timing belt or the one on the right hand side nearest the battery?

Dont really want to be replacing the wrong one, would appreciate a definitive answer as all I can find at the moment is the firing order.

Many thanks in advance :wink3:

I would have thought the number corresponds to the firing sequence of the cylinders. You could possibly call a garage to confirm?

• Like 1

peugeot engine fords are a nightmare to identify which is no4 injector. i honestly cant remember which it is but i know for sure the cyl  numbers are the opposite to normal. normally cyl1 is the timing belt end and cyl 4 is gearbox end, but most peugeot engines are inc the dv4 (yours ) is the other way round, cyl 1 is gearbox end , cyl 4 timing belt end, injector no is normally in firing order. 

• Like 1

Many thanks Martin and iantt for your replies. :smile:

I am still using the car at the moment as I dont want to strip anything out until I have a definitive answer regarding the position of No 4 injector. I plan on calling in on an independent garage who has been recommended to see if they can confirm.

I would also like to know ( I will ask the garage this question as well ) if I get my injector reconditioned whether it needs coding to my car.

Many thanks :wink3:

On 11/22/2016 at 7:12 PM, Sierra Charlie said:

Many thanks Martin and iantt for your replies. :smile:

I am still using the car at the moment as I dont want to strip anything out until I have a definitive answer regarding the position of No 4 injector. I plan on calling in on an independent garage who has been recommended to see if they can confirm.

I would also like to know ( I will ask the garage this question as well ) if I get my injector reconditioned whether it needs coding to my car.

Many thanks :wink3:

Is there any 'chuffing' at all on idle? When was the fuel filter last changed?

Thank you for your reply m1tch.

There is no chuffing at idle and the fuel filter was changed in April this year at the last service.

It appears that No 4 injector is actually nearest the timing belt end just as iantt mentioned in his post. :smile: I am going to strip off the rocker/cam cover again this weekend and try to investigate further. Got a shock when I discovered the price of a replacement injector and subsequent recoding price. :ohmy:

8 hours ago, Sierra Charlie said:

Thank you for your reply m1tch.

There is no chuffing at idle and the fuel filter was changed in April this year at the last service.

It appears that No 4 injector is actually nearest the timing belt end just as iantt mentioned in his post. :smile: I am going to strip off the rocker/cam cover again this weekend and try to investigate further. Got a shock when I discovered the price of a replacement injector and subsequent recoding price. :ohmy:

Check the price with dieselbob online, might also be easier to find a second hand replacement one off eBay and send that for rebuild etc - also you should be able to recode injectors yourself using Forscan.

Thank you very much for your reply and the details you supply.

I`ll do as you mention before stripping down. No point dismantling everything and disabling the car, might as well sort prices and arrange a rebuild first. :wink3:

On 12/2/2016 at 11:04 PM, Sierra Charlie said:

Thank you very much for your reply and the details you supply.

I`ll do as you mention before stripping down. No point dismantling everything and disabling the car, might as well sort prices and arrange a rebuild first. :wink3:

Its a shame that the cam covers and intake manifold are one piece otherwise it would be fairly easy to get the injectors sorted out, its also worth initially to check around to make sure that all the hoses and the MAF sensor are ok.

Also, when the seals were replaced, was the injector seat cleaned out properly before the new seal was added?

You could also try and do a leak off test on the injectors, you should be able to just about get the leak off pipes onto the injectors with everything in place. If you also get a cheap OBD reader (about £5 off ebay) you can check your own codes and also check the rail pressure to make sure its not the high pressure pump or something else.

On 05/12/2016 at 0:43 PM, m1tch said:

Its a shame that the cam covers and intake manifold are one piece otherwise it would be fairly easy to get the injectors sorted out, its also worth initially to check around to make sure that all the hoses and the MAF sensor are ok.

Also, when the seals were replaced, was the injector seat cleaned out properly before the new seal was added?

You could also try and do a leak off test on the injectors, you should be able to just about get the leak off pipes onto the injectors with everything in place. If you also get a cheap OBD reader (about £5 off ebay) you can check your own codes and also check the rail pressure to make sure its not the high pressure pump or something else.

Cam cover/intake manifold all one piece....................what a daft design that was :angry:

Yes injector seats cleaned properly before fitting new seals.............converted an old grinding stick and placed a small circular piece of not too course emery cloth on the bottom.

I didn`t replace the leak off pipes last time but have odered a new set as there appears to be a small seepage of diesel escaping from one of the leak off pipe connectors. I have also obtained a good second hand injector from a trusted supplier ( comes with a guarantee ).

Hopefully will have a go this coming weekend at trying to get everything sorted :wink: