Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Money for scrap..

Michael9

Im constantly baffled by the amount of ads for cars without mot's ie "just failed" ect ect saw a mk4 Mondy tdci hatch, 80000 miles... wanted 600 no offers, maybe i'd be the same though.

Depends on why it failed mot and the worth to the driver. If he can get another for the 600 why not

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

All depends on what it's failed on and spec of car. Mk4 started in what, 2008? So at worst its 8 years old. 

Various reasons tbh...  Some people are unable to fix even simple things themselves due to mobility issues etc so could cost a lot in labour.  Some people have enough money not to care and already bought another car.  Maybe they've just got something else so no insurance on the old one to take it to MOT.  Can be too much hassle to leave it at the garage if you don't have anyone to give you a lift back. 

But I guess the main reason will be that something else (or many things) is 'on the way out'...  If it's a diesel Mondeo, presumably the DMF or something is failing.  The cars aren't worth much even in decent nick at 8 years old, especially if it's an undesirable engine and a crap spec, it's not worth the labour costs to have a clutch and DMF done at a garage on something that old for example.

The problem with buying these cars though, is that you can only drive to an MOT centre, so you either have to 'sneak' it home to fix during the night (not that I'd condone or ever do that lol...) or have it trailered back which isn't cheap, or fix it at the sellers house and drive it straight to MOT.  I really have to think about buying cars with no MOT, but if it's still got a day or 2 left I'll happily go ahead and get it...point I'm trying to make is if anyone wants to sell something needing repair, try to make sure there is some MOT left on it, you'll find it much easier to shift.

You can legally drive it to 'a place of repair' so you could drive it home if that's where you intend to fix it. 

I'll keep my trusty mk3 though, mk4 is of no interest to me lol. 

3 hours ago, stef123 said:

You can legally drive it to 'a place of repair' so you could drive it home if that's where you intend to fix it. 

I'll keep my trusty mk3 though, mk4 is of no interest to me lol. 

Hmm, that is true now you mention it...  I wonder if the police would see driving home as a place to fix, always assumed it had to be a garage.  Two different insurers have told me they would only cover for one day to drive to and from MOT, rather than what I wanted which was a week to bring home, fix, mot, then repair any unexpected fails and re MOT.  

If I put a car in for an MOT I'm normally prepared to spend whatever is required to fix it, but on the odd occasion I have sold a car with a fail, it is because it failed worse than I thought and I can't afford/don't want to fix it.  Simple as that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club