Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk1 - crunching sound when steering

redrabbit

So my 2001 Ford Focus is a real beast, faultless and the only repairs are those that are picked on up MOT.  I love it.

I drove to work earlier this week.  I left it at work for about 3 days as I was away.  I came back and drove out.  

SYMPTOMS

Driving forwards, round bends = OK

However, if I turn the steering wheel round a lot, like say, more than one rotation it starts cracking/crunching/clicking

It sounds similar to the hub cap coming away, or something obstructing it (but this isn't the issue)

I'm not sure what it is.  The car drives fine, it's just when steering harshly, like parting.  Going round roundabouts are ok as it's not all the way round

Any ideas?

broken spring ? Quite common and not so easy to spot but classic symptoms other than that the steering rack is faulty which is also common personally I reckon one of you're front springs is broken

• Like 1

1 hour ago, artscot79 said:

broken spring ? Quite common and not so easy to spot but classic symptoms other than that the steering rack is faulty which is also common personally I reckon one of you're front springs is broken

You should be able to do a visual inspection of the springs. But I reckon it is broken at the ends and not in the middle. Have you gone over a pothole, or speed bump too fast?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club