Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grinding Noise

wilforiley

Hi Everyone,

I purchased my 5 door 1.6 LX '53 Plate Focus last year. It's done 44k, and about two months ago I put it in for an MOT and Full service, which it passed with flying colours. Not had any problems with it at all, up until now...

Since the MOT and service I've noticed a grinding noise at the front of the car when steering to the right. It doesn't happen unless it's on full or near-full lock and it seems to be more apparent when there is someone in the front passenger seat. I've had a quick look underneath but can't see anything obvious.

Is this common? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome

get someone to sit in the passenger side of the car then turn a full lock when stationary and see if the wheel could rub on the inner arch or front wing. Or if poss get someone to turn the car for you slowly so you can have a look and see if it is rubbing.

or it could be a dry CV joint or worn lower suspension.

Does it sound like something rubbing or grinding metal?

Hi and welcome

get someone to sit in the passenger side of the car then turn a full lock when stationary and see if the wheel could rub on the inner arch or front wing. Or if poss get someone to turn the car for you slowly so you can have a look and see if it is rubbing.

or it could be a dry CV joint or worn lower suspension.

Does it sound like something rubbing or grinding metal?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick response. It sounds more like rubbing. It certainly doesn't sound "metalic". I'll have a look in the morning with a passenger in the car and let you know how I get on.

Thanks!

Okay, I've had a look tonight and I can't see anything different between the front left and the front right umderneath the car...

Suspension bearing problem?

I think I'll try and book it in someplace over the weekend for a quick look-see. Anyone know of any good garages near the Medway Towns in Kent?

Okay, I've had a look tonight and I can't see anything different between the front left and the front right umderneath the car...

Suspension bearing problem?

I think I'll try and book it in someplace over the weekend for a quick look-see. Anyone know of any good garages near the Medway Towns in Kent?

Has it got the original size wheels and tyres

some replacement wheels the off set is to shallow and the inner edge of the tyres rub on the steering arm or wheel arch

with wider wheels you some times have to reset the track rod arms a bit shorter to limit the lock its only a couple of turns on the thread

A tyre dealer should be able to check the tyres are correct size and they are not rubbing on full lock and tracking is correct

some offer the tyre checks for free and you get it done while you wait rather than a garage they have the jacks and should see what is rubbing for you

other than that yes it could be a wheel bearing that is struggling under its maximum load or a joint

I don't know why it's only just dawned on me but the front right tyre was replaced at the last MOT and service a couple of months ago. The wheels are original though and the tyre matches the same profile as the other three wheels on the car. Could it be something like they've not fitted the wheel properly?

I'll take it along to a garage this morning and get them to have a look.

I don't know why it's only just dawned on me but the front right tyre was replaced at the last MOT and Service a couple of months ago. The wheels are original though and the tyre matches the same profile as the other three wheels on the car. Could it be something like they've not fitted the wheel properly?

I'll take it along to a garage this morning and get them to have a look.

If you have a quick fit near you try them They are owned by Ford and should know where to look

get the free tyre check lol and see how it goes

Ok, took it to a Kwikfit this morning, I drove the bloke around the car park and he heard the noise. Got it up on the ramps but couldn't see anything wrong with the wheel balance, brakes, or pads. I've got to book it in for a more thorough search. He thinks it could be the bearing at the top of the suspension column. Shouldn't be too horrific if that's all it is (fingers crossed) :)

Ok, took it to a Kwikfit this morning, I drove the bloke around the car park and he heard the noise. Got it up on the ramps but couldn't see anything wrong with the wheel balance, brakes, or pads. I've got to book it in for a more thorough search. He thinks it could be the bearing at the top of the suspension column. Shouldn't be too horrific if that's all it is (fingers crossed) :)

fingers crossed then hope it goes well

If it was the suspension strut bearing it would only make the noise whilst you were actually turning the steering wheel. If it happens when turning right with the steering wheel held steady then it is not likely to be the strut bearing.

• 10 years later...
On 6/22/2008 at 11:23 AM, ivor bigun said:

fingers crossed then hope it goes well

Hi how did you get in with it? I have a similar problem and have replaced many parts and still making the noise.

Thank you.