Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best tyre pressure for Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost Zetec 5dr

Raj15

Hi All,

I am new here and need some advice. I bought a used Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost Zetec 5dr last week and there are no tyre pressure specification stickers on any of the doors. The tyres are 195/55 R15. The manual says 33 psi (front) and 26 psi (rear) under "normal" load and 35 psi (front) and 46 psi (rear) under "full" load. While logically I should follow the manual, I am curious to know what pressures others have been using, especially as 26 psi seems a bit low and 46 psi too high. Also, what constitutes "normal" and "full" load?

Thanks for any advice.

15102238_10157738884630576_1914849955_o.jpg

on the tyre wall there will be a max psi rating make sure you stay under this figure. i keep mine at 34 psi all round and never had an issue. normal load is driver and front passenger empty boot and full load is driver and 4 passengers full boot

• Like 2

I have those same size tyres and I always stick to what it says in the book which is the same on the door sticker I might add, so 33psi front and 26psi rear. I've used them, like that for nearly 3 years now with zero issues.

• Like 1

Go with what it says in the manual, Ford did a little testing on this.

cjay1, what made you decide that 34psi was the pressure for your tyres?

• Like 1

it made the ride a little firmer without a loss of grip car is usually just me and going with full load pressures which I have done with all other cars without issue. however, i found on this car there was a notable reduction in rear end grip so reduced it to 34psi. if I do carry a full load then I use the full load pressures ford recommend. one thing to note higher tire pressures equal better fuel economy. 

14 hours ago, Pullock said:

I have those same size tyres and I always stick to what it says in the book which is the same on the door sticker I might add, so 33psi front and 26psi rear. I've used them, like that for nearly 3 years now with zero issues.

Pullock,

And have you ever tried the full load pressures i.e. 35 (front)/46 (rear)? Was that ok for you? Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raj15 said:

Pullock,

And have you ever tried the full load pressures i.e. 35 (front)/46 (rear)? Was that ok for you? Thanks.

I can't say I've ever tried it so I'm not sure on that but if you have a full load it should be fine.

On Ford's own website it says that you can add up to 4 psi to their stated figures as an aid to improving fuel consumption.

go 35psi alright its within the numbers and your then only have to remember one number 35psi :yes:

1 hour ago, Trewithy said:

On Ford's own website it says that you can add up to 4 psi to their stated figures as an aid to improving fuel consumption.

If you do that you'll find that your tyres will wear faster in the middle of the tread.

• Like 2

Thanks, all.

Seems like there are mainly two types of recommendations: 1. Follow the manual i.e. 33/26 2. Have c. 35psi all round. For now, I think I'll stick with the figures in the manual, and see how it goes. Cheers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobr said:

If you do that you'll find that your tyres will wear faster in the middle of the tread.

if you stay within the max pressure rating stamped on the tire wall center tread wear shouldn't increase

11 hours ago, cjay1 said:

if you stay within the max pressure rating stamped on the tire wall center tread wear shouldn't increase

The max stated pressure is so they don't explode...nothing to do with wear at all.

Reality is, I doubt any of us carry the exact same amount of weight as tested in the factory conditions...  I find the factory pressures for the Focus are a little high for me, gives a slightly loose feel at speed and lets the back end slide a little round corners, so I drop it down a couple of PSI and it feels much more planted.  A couple of PSI really does make a difference so just see what works for you around the original stated pressures.  It will also depend on your tyres, if you've got softer tyres than the original factory ones you may need a few more PSI, Rainsports are a good example of that. 

Must admit though 46PSI seems high...I mean how much can you even fit in a Fiesta!?  Unless it's Gold bars I suppose...the England Job for example... :laugh: 

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The max stated pressure is so they don't explode...nothing to do with wear at all.

Reality is, I doubt any of us carry the exact same amount of weight as tested in the factory conditions...  I find the factory pressures for the Focus are a little high for me, gives a slightly loose feel at speed and lets the back end slide a little round corners, so I drop it down a couple of PSI and it feels much more planted.  A couple of PSI really does make a difference so just see what works for you around the original stated pressures.  It will also depend on your tyres, if you've got softer tyres than the original factory ones you may need a few more PSI, Rainsports are a good example of that. 

Must admit though 46PSI seems high...I mean how much can you even fit in a Fiesta!?  Unless it's Gold bars I suppose...the England Job for example... :laugh: 

Haha, Good Joke Tom, Like we have any Gold bars. :laugh:

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
7 hours ago, WillH5080 said:

Thanks for the info, guys! Is anyone know which of these https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/tire-pressure-gauge tyre pressure gauges is good?

I’ve used the RaceX that’s listed for the last 10-12years and it’s been spot-on as far as I’m concerned.

• Like 2