Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water ingress into boot

Andy Drinkell

And another annoying little thing..

As we all know, it was throwing it down yesterday and the day before, it was that bad that the rain was still in the buckets...

Now the carpet in the boot is wet through. Lifted it up, no damage to the floor , no rust or anything, no drain holes or anything like that. I drove over 100 miles yesterday in all that rain. No other water on any other carpets.

So, I suspected the boot may have a leak around the seal. Just took it through a car wash. nope, nothing leaking, no sign of water dripping in.

Checked the rear wiper tube to see if it was dripping from using the rear wiper... nope, absolutely no evidence of that either.

Wondered if anyone else has had the same problem? I'm wondering if maybe the water runs down the seal and somehow manages to get in at the bottom?

Don't want to go paying for a new seal and then finding it's not that. Might try some silicone sealant along the bottom lip  (on the boot, not MY bottom lip.. and I don't want anyone else's lips on my bottom either, lol) and then push the trim back on, see if that works.

Any ideas?

check the lights are sealed properly & the wire harness into the boot lid is secure. you may find it's a build up of condensation thats filled the boot with water. perhaps drill a drain hole but take care not to hit the petrol tank. drill from underneath perhaps unless you know it's clear to drill. had same on

a fiesta and it was condensation due to the damp /wet mornings using the rear defog so often and people being in the car making things worse.

let us know how you get on

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for the tip. Really hadn't considered that. I'll get a good look at it when I get chance. After I finish the kitchen. And the new range style cooker.... and the tiling... and the night shifts.... zzzzzz

Light clusters are one of the most common causes of boot leaks in cars. I always remove the rear lights and put a good smear of bearing grease all around the foam sealing gasket to ensure im getting a good seal. If you remove the light you will be able to see if rain waters been getting past the seal as it will have a dirty residue where it has trickled in. Best bet is to put a trickling hosepipe on the roof and drop the back seats so you can sit in the car and wait for it to appear. I did that in my Focus, turned out to be a rear quarter body cavity vent behind the bumper was leaking. Did the hose in wifes Punto and that was the actual bodywork panel seam sealer had perished. Never would have guessed that one! The hosepipe will be your best bet rather than a load of silicone everywhere.

• 1 month later...

did you find the leak andy. let us know for future referance for others to use.

I had a similar problem with my focus and after a lot of checking found it was the roof spoiler was letting in water.I used silicone and tightened the nuts to fix it.  Don't know if this is the same for your situation.Hope it helps

• 2 years later...

Hi 

I have exactly the same problem on ford Ka 08 plate driving me nuts as can't use the boot.   Ice sealed all where I can ..will try the hose pipe  trickle with back seat down. .great idea. Light clusters good point check that to ...the wet smell off carpets is rank .. keep you posted 

• 1 year later...

I have seen water ingress on two different ford ka plus's.  One point that is not sealed very well is in the spare tyre well. This where the rear most upright panel is welded to the spare tyre well.  Water also enters from under plastic cover panel inside the boot near the fuel filler pipe.  This is due to be looked by ford as a warranty issue.