Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2.5 to Mk1 stereo conversion?

Bazinga

I want to replace my stock Ford 6000 CD stereo for a Sony HCD345DC. Is this possible? Are there any guides out there which I can follow? I assume that this will not be possible or an easy job as the fitment is different and the Sony stereo is reliant upon a fascia to hide the edges away.

Also, would the existing steering wheel remote work with the new stereo? Looking at the connector diagram from the following page indicates otherwise, but it's for a different model: Ford Focus MK2.5 (2008-2012) Stereo Removal ST/RS

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

New stereo:

Ford-Focus-MK2.5-Sony-Stereo.jpg

Current stereo:

ford_focus_6000_cd_radio.jpg

The MK2/MK2.5 radio's have completely different dimensions and wiring than the MK1/MK1.5 radio's. This requires major modifications to the dashboard and dashboard panel and wiring.

Next to this the MK2/MK2.5 radio's are technically completely different from the MK1/MK1.5 radio's. The MK2/MK2.5 radio's are connected to the CANbus system. Several data is communicated to and from the radio by using the CANbus system. The MK1/MK1.5 does not have a CANbus system at all so many functions will simply not work. The time and date function for example is integrated in both the radio and the instrument cluster. The MK2/MK2.5 radio shows the time and date that is stored in the instrument cluster memory. Without a MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster the date/time function will not work correctly.

The steering wheel control however will work fine. The steering wheel control is basically a resistance circuitry. Every steering wheel control function has its own resistance. The resistances of each function are basically the same for most Ford models.

• Like 4

JW1982, How does your head not explode with all the knowledge you constantly deliver contained in it? You are a very clever individual! :yes:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bazinga said:

I want to replace my stock Ford 6000 CD stereo for a Sony HCD345DC. Is this possible? Are there any guides out there which I can follow? I assume that this will not be possible or an easy job as the fitment is different and the Sony stereo is reliant upon a fascia to hide the edges away.

Also, would the existing steering wheel remote work with the new stereo? Looking at the connector diagram from the following page indicates otherwise, but it's for a different model: Ford Focus MK2.5 (2008-2012) Stereo Removal ST/RS

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

New stereo:

Current stereo:

ford_focus_6000_cd_radio.jpg

With the many positive reasons to choose an aftermarket double din headunit to replace the existing mk2/mk2.5 headunit 

can i ask why do you want to fit a mk1 ? 

I also have a Guide here👇 may help well a few 😅

Guide to Fitting Aftermarket headunit focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 Click Here

Guide To fitting 10" HD Flip Down Monitor Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 Click Here

Custom 10" Sub enclosure & Amp panel Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5Click Here

Guide Installing Reverse Camera Focus Mk2.5 2008 - 2011Click Here

Guide Fitting Dual Camera DVR System Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5Click Here

Lenny, i think he has a mk1 and wanted to fit a mk2 stereo into it? Unless im reading it wrong!:blink::smile:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WES180 said:

Lenny, i think he has a mk1 and wanted to fit a mk2 stereo into it? Unless im reading it wrong!:blink::smile:

I'm sure you're right mate, 

I've set sail with Captain Morgan three hours ago and me owl vision is becoming a bit impaired 😁 

throwing the owl guides out usually solves this type of thread 👍

6 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I'm sure you're right mate, 

I've set sail with Captain Morgan three hours ago and me owl vision is becoming a bit impaired 😁 

throwing the owl guides out usually solves this type of thread 👍

I was reading that thinking what has an owl got to do with anything lol, you mean ole (old)! :laugh:

Good owl alcohol!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WES180 said:

I was reading that thinking what has an owl got to do with anything lol, you mean ole (old)! :laugh:

That's the one 👍😁

• Like 1

Better off fitting a decent aftermarket double din radio along with a fascia adaptor or double din fascia.

The MK1 Focus radio dimensions are not quite a standard double din size.-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT23FD32-FORD-FOCUS-1999-2005-BLACK-DOUBLE-DIN-FASCIA-FACIA-ADAPTOR-PANEL-/380712320004?fits=Car+Make%3AFord|Model%3AFocus&hash=item58a438fc04:g:X1UAAOSw-RRXB1mH

It's easy to swap the fascias over (4 screws easily located once the current radio is removed plus the clock, hazard button and lighter socket.) however you will lose the ash/coin tray.

• Like 1

I believe my mk1 has a single din JVC but the sound quality is pretty good,  and radio reception near perfect.

Quite an old system now but still going strong. It may have 24bit audio conversion. Which means the sound is converted to 24bit and processed, and outputs it as 16 bit. Though all 4 Speakers work, but the steering controls do not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, v530anh said:

I believe my mk1 has a single din JVC but the sound quality is pretty good,  and radio reception near perfect.

Quite an old system now but still going strong. It may have 24bit audio conversion. Which means the sound is converted to 24bit and processed, and outputs it as 16 bit. Though all 4 speakers work, but the steering controls do not.

Need a Ford to jvc steering stalk adaptor 👍

i think its this one but read description for sure: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250951123994 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Need a Ford to jvc steering stalk adaptor 👍

You sobered up now then Lenny? Noticed the lack of bird talk!:laugh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WES180 said:

You sobered up now then Lenny? Noticed the lack of bird talk!:laugh:

😅 yeah I went to sleep at 10pm last night and fell out of the kookoo's nest at around 3am thismorning. have the full HD Experience now 

• Like 1

@JW1982: thanks for the informative reply. That makes sense and has convinced me to steer clear (pun intended) of the stock ford stereos and look at aftermarket

@Lenny: as WES180 pointed out, I am looking for the opposite. But thanks for the guides. I'm sure they will help anyone else who stumbles across this post of mine

@Stoney871: thanks for that. I came across a similar posting on eBay earlier today. Glad to know I'm on the right track. This means that I can still go for a double din stereo and not have to worry about fitment types as the replacement fascia will (hopefully) cater for universal fitments. Not looking to go so big in terms of expense at the moment, but it's useful for me to know and save in case I want to upgrade and go for a touch screen system for instance

@v530anh: thanks for sharing your first hand experience. I am heading down this path as well. Not sure I care for the steering wheel controls as the stalk control interface leads are not cheap Ford Focus Mk1 98-04 Steering Wheel Stalk Control Interface Lead CTSFO001.2

Just wanted to point out that I've got another thread which has crossed over into this topic. Apologies if this seems like I'm double posting. Just seemed sensible to start a new thread which was more focused on this topic (whereas the other thread was more broad and open and the title wasn't more specific to this). The thread is here  Mk1 bluetooth and change power outlet to ign live

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

@Bazinga Thanks for the mention even though I wasn't of any assistance 👍

I didnt even get a mention and it was me that said you had it the wrong way around not JW1982!:laugh:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WES180 said:

I didnt even get a mention and it was me that said you had it the wrong way around not JW1982!:laugh:

As i remember; i was very very drunk when i was posting 😅

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WES180 said:

Sorry mate! I meant you and not JW

I've fixed it now :laugh:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Sorry mate! I meant you and not JW

I've fixed it now :laugh:

Woohoo, i got a mention!:laugh:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WES180 said:

Woohoo, i got a mention!:laugh:

Hi5✋

Update:

Settled for a single din JVC stereo. All I have to do is get:

• an ISO harness with steering wheel stalk control (if possible)
  • single din fascia conversion (grey or black and not easy to remove)

I found the following:

Autoleads PC99-X07 Stalk Adaptor Vehicle Lead for Ford Focus Mondeo

Autoleads FP-07-08 Car Audio Single DIN Facia Adaptor for Ford - Black

Car Radio Installation Kit for Ford (Focus) until 2004 Faceplate and Storage Shelf

Would you recommend any of these? Are there any better suggestions?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Update:

Settled for a single din JVC stereo. All I have to do is get:

• an ISO harness with steering wheel stalk control (if possible)
  • single din fascia conversion (grey or black and not easy to remove)

I found the following:

Autoleads PC99-X07 Stalk Adaptor Vehicle Lead for Ford Focus Mondeo

Autoleads FP-07-08 Car Audio Single DIN Facia Adaptor for Ford - Black

Car Radio Installation Kit for Ford (Focus) until 2004 Faceplate and Storage Shelf

Would you recommend any of these? Are there any better suggestions?

I'd purchase the first two links aswell as an aerial adaptor link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400944054729 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club