Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turboboost Pipe Cream Crackered

Dr Wizzle

Evening all! I've been tinkering with my engine and every time I opened the bonnet, the bar that holds bonnet up was always covered in a thin layer of oil. Couldn't work out where it was coming from, and also thought I had a fuel leak from the filter housing as the bottom silver run off plate was always covered in something. Turns out my turboboost pipe was split and I was losing power from it and also getting engine covered in fine mist of oil after a good run. I know most turbo's will, at some point in their life, leak a tiny bit of oil and i'm not too bothered at the moment, but will get the turbo looked at and possibly replace it with a reconditioned unit after Chrimbo. 

So, I bought a replacement pipe from eBay and set about fitting it, Took headlight out to get better access and the bottom hose ring was a pig to get out, but a bit of WD40 and a little persuasion I got it off. Attached new pipe and hose rings with no bother at all. Turns out the rubbers on the ends of the original pipe were perished as well, so replacing the pipe was well overdue. Car runs a hell of a lot better now and next job is replace the oil and filter tomorrow. Its had a new air filter and fuel filter 2-3 weeks ago. When I bought the car, they said they would do filters and levels, but changed the filter and left the old oil in, and its black as black can be. I also want to replace the injector seals, the seals on the rails and the leak off seals. Do any of you have any advice on this? I know pulling out the old injector seals are a pig, so is it worth doing? I just want to keep the engine as tip-top as I can. I know she's done 171k but theres plenty of life left I think! Anyhow, sorry for waffling on and I look forward to any replys.

Alan

IMG_0212 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0213 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0215 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0221 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0222 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0223 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:15 PM, Dr Wizzle said:

Evening all! I've been tinkering with my engine and every time I opened the bonnet, the bar that holds bonnet up was always covered in a thin layer of oil. Couldn't work out where it was coming from, and also thought I had a fuel leak from the filter housing as the bottom silver run off plate was always covered in something. Turns out my turboboost pipe was split and I was losing power from it and also getting engine covered in fine mist of oil after a good run. I know most turbo's will, at some point in their life, leak a tiny bit of oil and i'm not too bothered at the moment, but will get the turbo looked at and possibly replace it with a reconditioned unit after Chrimbo. 

Alan

I had this engine in my Volvo C30 - a right little train puller. Although, mine was a Euro4 so didn't have the DPF.

with things like the injector seals, rails seals etc - unless it needs doing, just leave it alone as you might find you run into some bother down the line, especially near Christmas!

Same with your turbo. You will find traces of oil around the pipes that come off the turbo and into your engine - a lot of turbo engines do this and doesn't mean the turbo is leaking. Id have a look and feel, see if the turbine moves side to side at all, see if there is any damage to the blades etc and go from there to determine if you need a replacement. Catch cans help with removing excess oil from pipes etc - never installed one on mine but from time to time just cleaned the induction piping out.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Had a look on my Logbook. Mines a Euro4 as well, (was on an 06 plate) but i do have a DPF on mine, I can see the pipes for the sensor next to the battery tray. All good when working, but just another thing to go wrong when it wants to give up the ghost.