Do Not Sell My Personal Information

cool start problems

steplce74

Hi now the weather is getting colder, my puma 1.6 is slow to turn over, when it does start it dies straight away, this morning when i drove it, i put my foot down when the engine was still cold, (joining a motorway) it started to pick up then it seemed like i put the brakes on, which i didn't and it coughed and sputtered, then was ok again, i have replaced the air filter and since then its not running as good as it did, its a Mann filter so not a cheap one, also, when ever i start the care from cold, my speedo, rev gauge, fuel gauge and temp gauge shot to there maximum, it does this most times, i know my battery is old, it was standing for a year and i think the garage who sold it to me just put any battery in that would fit, i know it isnt a caluim one which i have been told it should have, do you think the battery is causing these probs or have i done something when i fitted a new air filter or is it a puma thing when the temp gets really cold

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I would suggest getting it to a local garage and getting them to hook it up to an OBDII scanner this will return back any fault codes for the vehicle. There are a lot of things it could be however it could be an issue with the Lambda sensor (I'm more familiar with the 1.7 so that is a guess). I don't think the air filter will make that much difference tbh.